Subject: Re: [dita] <data> use practice question: @value and content?

I'm inclined to agree with you--the only processible intent for the data element is the meaning you give it in its specialization, after all. If there are likely to be more than one date, I'd have a grouping data container whose @value="isodate", containing the one or more instance strings in specialized data elements having an attribute that logs the instance format or other meta about the representations.
DITA and XML Consultant, Learning by Wrote
Co-Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
--T.S. Eliot