Subject: Fw: [dita] Proposal for <title> element in <topicref>

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25
----- Forwarded by Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM on 03/27/2012 11:53 AM -----

From:        Eliot Kimber <ekimber@rsicms.com>
To:        Rob Hanna <rob.hanna@Innovatia.net>, Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>,
Date:        03/27/2012 10:16 AM
Subject:        Re: [dita] Proposal for <title> element in <topicref>

Per the brief discussion we had on the phone last week, when I asked a
similar question, the response was that the behavior would be as for
navtitle and @locktitle, namely that the topicref's <title> would replace
the topic's title IFF @locktitle is yes, otherwise it would be ignored.

I would expect the <title> to contribute to navigation only if @locktitle is
yes and there is no explicit navtitle on the topicref or on the topic.

That is, even with @locktitle, a topic's explicit navtitle still takes
precedence over a topicref's <title> when the topicref has no separate
navtitle.

That is, I think, consistent with the general principle that navtitle
overrides title for navigation and the presumption that if the topic author
put in a navtitle they did so for a good reason.

mailto:rob.hanna@innovatia.net>  | www.innovatia.net
http://www.innovatia.net/>  | Follow us on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/InnovatiaInc>

> Notice of Confidentiality: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
> confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the person(s)
> named above and any unauthorized distribution or disclosure is prohibited. If
> you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us and permanently
> delete this email and any attachments from your system.

http://dita.xml.org/blog/25 <http://dita.xml.org/blog/25>

Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
Main: 512.554.9368
www.rsicms.com
www.rsuitecms.com