Subject: Question about <navtitle> in <topicgroup> allowed by DITA 1.2

A question from Radu Coravu for us to consider.

Kris

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Dita-ot-developer] Question about in allowed by DITA 1.2
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:51:31 +0300
From: Radu Coravu <radu_coravu@sync.ro>
To: dita-ot-developer@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi everybody,

The DITA OT specification states this:

Beginning with DITA 1.2, you are able to specify a <navtitle> element
within the <topicmeta> element inside of a <topicgroup>. The
<topicgroup> element is meant as a non-titled grouping element, so
adding a <navtitle> element to the <topicgroup> element has no defined
purpose, and processors must ignore the title.

I know the construct is not illegal according to the schemas but is the
construct illegal according to the DITA 1.2 specification?

> <topicgroup>
>     <topicmeta>
>       <navtitle>Navigation title</navtitle>
>     </topicmeta>
>   </topicgroup>

One of our users has such constructs and wants Oxygen XML Editor to
display these titles for <topicgroup>s when editing the DITA Map in the
DITA Maps Manager view (which shows a TOC-like outline of the DITA Map).

I know there has been an older discussion about this:

> https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201008/msg00105.html

In your opinion what would be the best approach for an editor which
shows the TOC-like structure of the DITA Map?

If the construct is not considered invalid by the spec (but more in a
gray area) I guess we can make this improvement.

Regards,
Radu

Radu Coravu
http://www.oxygenxml.com