Subject: RE: [dita] Question about <navtitle> in <topicgroup> allowed by DITA 1.2

The title was added as a by-product of the requirement to make @navtitle
into an element - we added it into <topicmeta>, which meant that there was
no way to exclude it from the topicgroup context. The specification
includes a note about this saying that the element must be ignored for
processing:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/langref/topicgroup.html#topicgroup

As for editing, I think I'd tend to agree with Eliot's comment that it can
be used to help an author, though I disagree that this was the intent - it
was only added because we could not prevent it in the DTD / XSD
implementation, which is why the specification explicitly says to ignore
it. Similar language (and reasoning) exists for the topichead element - the
DTD / XSD cannot actually require the navtitle element now that it can be
specified in either location, but the intent is still to treat this as
requiring a title.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)