Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal: Allow <xref> within <shortdesc>

Eliot, I knew that you and I would disagree on this issue. I'll be interested to see what other folks who work primarily with an end-user base have to say.

While I'd like to agree that our primary user group of concern is "specializers" and "implementers," I think that for the DITA 1.x-level releases we have a responsibility to look out for other communities, including authors.

DITA 1.0 and DITA 1.1 were relatively simple and the spec relatively short. With DITA 1.2, we added a lot of complexity -- some of which we are just beginning to unravel and sort out -- and the spec became much more inaccessible. I think we need to do a balancing act for the 1.x releases.

For this instance, simply constraining <xref> from the concept, task, and reference shells might be an adequate answer. This might mean another item for our DITA 1.3 proposal templates; for changes that will affect the base vocabulary, do we need to add constraints to other TC-provided shells?

Kris Kristen James Eberlein
Co-chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Charter member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)