Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal: Allow <xref> within <shortdesc>

Hi Kris,

I don't think adding xref to shortdesc really increases complexity - it actually removes a wrinkle in the content model that has caused questions. In other words, by adding the element we increase consistency, which decreases complexity.

If we wanted to continue the ban on links in shortdesc that existed in DITA 1.0, we'd need to not only constrain shortdesc to remove xref, but also constrain ph and keyref in the context of shortdesc (if that were possible, which it isn't, at least with DTDs). I don't think that's realistic - so we're going to have to accomodate linking anyway. The only question is whether we accomodate it in a consistent manner (including xref) or an inconsistent manner (including xref in ph, and keyref on keyword/cite/etc, but excluding xref in shortdesc).

I think if we allow <cite> in shortdesc we're alread going to see wording like "See xxx for more info" appearing in shortdesc-derived hoverhelps. If some of those "xxx"s are actually sourced from an xref instead of a cite, does it matter?

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Total Information Experience (TIE) Technology Strategist
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

From:        Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
To:        Eliot Kimber <ekimber@rsicms.com>,
Cc:        dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        09/11/2012 09:59 AM
Sent by:        <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Eliot, I knew that you and I would disagree on this issue. I'll be
interested to see what other folks who work primarily with an end-user
base have to say.

While I'd like to agree that our primary user group of concern is
"specializers" and "implementers," I think that for the DITA 1.x-level
releases we have a responsibility to look out for other communities,
including authors.

DITA 1.0 and DITA 1.1 were relatively simple and the spec relatively
short. With DITA 1.2, we added a lot of complexity -- some of which we
are just beginning to unravel and sort out -- and the spec became much
more inaccessible. I think we need to do a balancing act for the 1.x
releases.

For this instance, simply constraining <xref> from the concept, task,
and reference shells might be an adequate answer. This might mean
another item for our DITA 1.3 proposal templates; for changes that will
affect the base vocabulary, do we need to add constraints to other
TC-provided shells?

Co-chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Charter member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)