Subject: RE: [dita] Proposal: Allow <xref> within <shortdesc>

From:        "Rodolfo M. Raya" <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
To:        <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>,
Date:        09/11/2012 10:56 AM

> From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org [
mailto:dita@lists.oasis-open.org] On
Behalf
> Of Kristen James Eberlein
> Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:59 AM
> To: Eliot Kimber
> Cc: dita
> Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal: Allow <xref> within <shortdesc>
>
> While I'd like to agree that our primary user group of concern is
"specializers"
> and "implementers," I think that for the DITA 1.x-level releases we have a
> responsibility to look out for other communities, including authors.

IMHO, making "specializers" and "implementers" the primary user group is a
mistake that leads to a standard that becomes more complex every day and
scares end users that want a simple solution for authoring documentation in
a structured manner.

I would prefer a standard that is easy to use right out of the box and
allows me to extend and customize if needed. DITA is going the opposite
direction offering too many options to the first time user.

I used to see DITA as  "start simple and grow as needed" but that's no
longer the case since the release of version 1.2.

Best regards,
Rodolfo
--
Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com