Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - DITA 1.3 Proposal 13107 - Default Scope, Format, and Type Values (HTML) uploaded

Hi Chris N and All

I read through the proposal – nicely written.

I am not sure I articulated the counter argument, but  in short: Addressing should be independent of behavior of the resource.

This restriction on addressing form did not exist before.

Addressing something by an absolute address and a relative address – in a certain host context – should have identical results.  Requiring addressing form consistency across all tools seems restrictive.  Consider the following three addressing forms with a server of http://docserver.foo.com and two folders project1/folder1 and project1/folder2.  To a web savy person all three of these addresses refer to the same file and they would expect the same behavior.

- http://docserver.foo.com/project1/folder1/myTopic.dita

- ../folder1/MyTopic.dita as referenced from ../folder2/MyTopic2.dita resolved to #1.

- /project1/folder1/MyTopic.dita resolved to #1

Under the current spec you get the same behavior regardless of how the resource is addressed.  The setting of the scope attribute would be consistent across all addressing forms.

In this proposal the first form would default to scope=”external”, and the other two scope=”local” even tho according to URL theory they address the same resource within the same server context.  The job of an address is to deliver the bytes, not dictate behavior.

Implicit in the proposal is that no tool can ever use the first form on local dita content because dita scope would become dependent on the addressing form used.

Although I think we can agree that persisting absolute links is bad practice, there is nothing that says temporary ephemeral views of files, such as those found in an editor, have to use relative links to work.  But with this proposal, we are saying that in order to get the right scope behavior carefully ensure your link forms every step of the way.

Some of the other changes in the proposal make sense, but switching behavior on addressing form is a bit unsettling – or rather I do not have the strength of conviction to say – “never ever flip your links to an absolute form in any temporary view for any reason”.

cheers

Jim