Subject: Update on proposal 13079

For tomorrow's meeting, I'm supposed to have a stage 2 proposal for 13079 -
update rules for keyref matching text.

The impetus behind that is really to fix the current (broken and unclear)
language around matching text. I put together initial thoughts on this at
the TC wiki, which we reviewed some months ago:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/KeyrefMatchingText

While working on the stage 2 proposal, it started to feel like make-work
without a clear purpose. Basically - the goal of 13079 is to fix a spec
topic. Most of the background work is done (figuring out what to change).
Creating a stage 2 proposal - with no new elements, features, or behaviors
- just creates a lot of work for me and for TC reviewers that will not
change the outcome.

This seems more like the spec issues discussed last week, where we have
incorrect/incomplete spec topics about domains that really must be fixed.
Those do not represent new proposals, instead they are (potentially
substantial) specification issues with a lot of work but nothing "new" that
requires a proposal. I think 13079 falls into that same category.

I'd like to discuss at tomorrow's meeting, and see if it would be OK to
proceed with this one as a specification edit rather than a full scale 1.3
proposal.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development