Subject: Re: [dita] Scenario for cross-deliverable referencing

In starting to implement a working processor that does cross-publication
linking in the way Michael and I have outlined I have come to realize that
we've overlooked one aspect: references to elements within topics.

In all the discussion to date, including my long exploration quoted below,
we have only considered mapping *keys* to rendered targets. As Michael
asserted and as I think I confirmed, this can be done by generating new key
definitions to the rendered result of a given key-bound resource (e.g., what
a topic becomes in a given rendered result).

However...

For references to elements within topics, it's not so easy.

Consider the use case of two references from a topic in Map A to two figures
in a topic in Map B., with the intent that the cross-publication references
get you to the figures, not just it's containing topic:

Map A:

<map>
 <mapref scope="peer"
   processing-role="resource-only"
   href="../map-b/keydefs/map-b-keydefs.ditamap"
 />
 <topicref href="a-01.dita"/>
</map>

Topic A-01.dita, used from map Map-A.ditamap:

</topic>

Map B:

Map B Keydefs (map-b/keydefs/map-b-keydefs.ditamap):

<map>
  <keydef keys="topic-b-01"
    scope="peer"
    href="../topics/b-01.dita"
  />
</map>

Topic b-01:

<fig id="fig-01">
</fig>
<fig id="fig-02">
</fig>
</topic>

The references from topic a-01.dita to b-01.dita *as authored* are clear and
can be resolved reliably in the source.

However, because a key-based reference to a topic ID includes the element ID
*at the point of reference*, not in the key definition, it means that simply
rewriting the key definition to point to the topic as rendered is
insufficient: you must also map the ID part of the original keyref into the
appropriate output-specific address and there is no way to know what that is
*except* to maintain an output-specific element-id=to-rendered-location map.

There's no way to know what the output-specific address is because that's
entirely a function of the output processor and it could do anything it
wants. Even in the case of the current HTML transform, where there is a
well-understood mapping from source IDs to output IDs, it's not 100% because
of the use of @chunk. When you chunk you may create a situation where the
processor has to synthesize new IDs and at that point you can't reliably
predict what those might be. In the case of monolithic outputs like PDF, it
is not possible to have a simple one-to-one mapping from source IDs to
output IDs because result IDs need to be unique across the publication but
source IDs only need to be unique within a given topic or map document.

DITA, today, does not provide any interchange format for that mapping. That
is, there is nothing provided by maps today that defines a maping of element
IDs to anything--maps only address topics, maps, and non-DITA resources, and
thus are incapable of saying anything about elements within topics.

In my thinking about this in the past, I had presumed an all-knowing Process
Manager that would maintain this mapping as a black box--in that case, there
is no need for interchange because there is exactly one actor, the Process
Manager.

However, Michael makes a strong case for processor interoperation and I
think that any solution we come up with has to support interchange of
intermediate address resolution data among processors, which means we have
to standardize the mapping.

The mapping itself has to reflect the following information for each element
mapped (e.g., as rows in a table):

1. The deliverable the mapping applies to, as represented by the Rendition
Definition (as outlined in my information below). The Redition Definition
includes the root map to be processed and all the processing options used to
produce the rendition. E.g., "map-b.ditamap to PDF". If you have one mapping
per deliverable then the deliverable can be a property of the mapping as a
whole and need not be repeated in every row.

2. The containing topic or map, represented by the keys bound to it in the
context of the deliverable's root map and the resource bound to those keys.
A given topic or map may have any number of keys bound to it.

3. The source element ID (e.g., "fig-01"

4. The rendition-specific address, e.g., "map-b.pdf#anchor-d123"

Entries are looked up by the keyname/element ID pair by which an element is
referenced. In fact you could use the literal key-based fragment identifier
as a lookup key for the data, since DITA's syntax for key-based element
addresses is simple and consistent.

Represented as a literal table the mapping table for the map-b-to-PDF
rendition might look like this:

| keyname     | Element ID | Rendition address  |
|-------------+------------+--------------------|
| topic-b-01  | fig-01     | anchor-d123        |
|-------------+------------+--------------------|
| topic-b-01  | fig-02     | anchor-d546        |

If interchange is a requirement, which I think it is, then we need some XML
markup for this.

I think the right approach would be to define a specialized topic type that
captures or points to the rendition definition metadata (which is on my
plate to define) and that uses a specialized <simpletable> to capture the
mapping pretty much as I've outlined it here. I would not worry about
normalizing the data but would keep it as a simple as possible since the
point is efficient run-time processing, not database purity. Such a table
would be easy to query with XPath or could be read directly into SQL
databases if necessary. I would expect a large-scale Production Manager to
use a relational database to manage large volumes of mapping data but I
could also see using an XQuery database in the context of an XML-primary CMS
that already uses something like MarkLogic or eXist.

I will add the definition of this mapping topic to my existing processing
data representation design task.

Cheers,

Eliot