Subject: Re: [dita] Cross-Deliverable Linking: Requires a-priori knowledge of which maps are root maps

I agree with Chris that a solution for referencing keys within scopes needs
to be coordinated with any keyspace-to-keyspace solution.

A key scope is really just a key space that is explicitly related to another
key space, which means that it's fundamentally no different from a
root-map-defined key space, it just has a known relationship to other key
spaces (it's ancestor key spaces and descendant key spaces) whereas a
root-map-defined keyspace has no known relationship to any other key spaces
(other than any descendant key scopes it might have).

So I think we have a common requirement for a new key reference syntax that
lets you specify the key space and key together, whether that key space is a
peer key space or a "scope" defined in the same root map as the reference.

As to Robert's concern about the meaning of scope="peer" on a mapref--if we
have this two-level key reference syntax, then I think we can say clearly:

"maps referenced as peers provide keys that may be referenced by a two-part
key reference. The keys within peer maps *do not* contribute to the key
space of the referencing map."

That is, you cannot directly reference a key in a peer map--you must address
both the map (key space) and the key together. To have a local key reference
that gets to a peer resource you must have two levels of key definition: one
for the local key that then provides the keyspace-specific reference to the
peer key.

I think that is consistent with Robert's understanding of our intent for the
meaning of peer and with the way current processors do or should process
peer maps.

For argument's sake and for my DITA NA demo I'm going to propose the syntax:

[{keyspace-name}::]{keyname}[/{elementId}]

As the syntax for key references, where "keyspace-name" is either a key
bound to a peer-scope mapref or the name of a defined key scope (however
that works out).

I've chosen to use "::" as the separator as being analogous to the axis/term
separator in XPath: the keyspace-name establishes the context ("axis") that
the specified key is resolved in. I can't think of any other separator that
wouldn't cause potential confusion (e.g., "/", ".", "#", "%", etc.) or that
isn't common to all keyboards (e.g, "^").

Thus, to refer to a key in another map, you would have something like this:

<map>
<!-- Peer reference to another root map (key space): -->

<mapref scope="peer"
   keys="map-b"
   href="../map-b/map-b.ditamap"
/>

<!-- Local key bound to key in Map B: -->

<keydef keys="local-key-01"
   keyref="map-b::topic-b-01"
/>
</map>

Here a reference to the key "local-key-01" gets resolved to the key
"topic-b-01" as defined in map map-b.ditamap.

Likewise, from an xref you could address the topic in map B directly if that
was appropriate:

<xref keyref="map-b::topic-b-01"/>

Which is the author's way of saying "I know Map B will (or should) always
exist and I mean for this reference to unalterably be to Map B and nothing
else. There are times when that's what you want.

For the purposes of my demo for DITA NA I will use this proposed syntax, but
I'm not suggesting it's either the best answer or my most considered
suggestion, it's just what I've thought of at the moment.