Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - 13059-MetadataCascadeHtml uploaded

Hi Chris,

I originally hadn't considered that case, but when I followed up with Dave
Helfinstine about the current PTC implementation, he pointed out this
wording in the description of the platform attribute:
If no value is specified, but the attribute is specified on an ancestor
within a map or within the related-links section, the value will cascade
from the closest ancestor. The attribute takes a space-delimited set of
values.

He indicated that they've taken this to mean values don't cascade/merge
within normal section content, and seems to me like an interpretation that
will generally fit with user expectations. Of course my mind is tied in the
DITA-OT, and I know we don't currently *implement* any cascade / merging
within topics, so my focus from the start was really on maps -- the OT
creates a new copy of the map with those values cascaded everywhere,
something that would rarely or never make sense in the topic body. Probably
something good to discuss at our call; if there is general consensus that
the cascade value should appear everywhere, then I can probably go along
with that.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)