Subject: Proposal 13088, Variables: Propose to Withdraw

With the almost certain inclusion of scoped keys in 1.3, one of the main
motivations for having a separate variables facility is removed, namely the
need to have variables scoped within maps. While other important variable
features, such as being able to define them within topics and topic content
and the ability to define fallback values within topics, cannot be
implemented with keys as currently defined, I don't think those requirements
are sufficiently compelling to justify the cost of this proposal at this
time.

In addition, a version of this facility is already available through the
DITA for Publishers project, so anyone who wants the mechanism has access to
it and that design can be refined as desired independent from the TC's work.

Therefore I propose to withdraw proposal 13088.

Cheers,

Eliot

Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
Main: 512.554.9368
www.rsicms.com
www.rsuitecms.com
Book: DITA For Practitioners, from XML Press,
http://xmlpress.net/publications/dita/practitioners-1/