Subject: Comments from Dan Dionne about the troubleshooting topic proposal (13097)

FYI

Co-chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Charter member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fw: [dita] Proposal 13097 Stage 2 documentation update
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 14:58:12 -0400
From: Michael Priestley <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com>
To: Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>

FYI

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Total Information Experience (TIE) Technology Strategist
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25
----- Forwarded by Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM on 08/02/2013 02:56 PM -----

From:        Daniel Dionne/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
To:        Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA,
Date:        07/30/2013 01:36 PM

Michael and Robert,

Thanks for sending along Bob's latest efforts.  I still have quite a few concerns.  My analysis:

Basic content
  1. The IBM specialization contains 5 major elements
    1. tsSymptoms
    2. tsCauses
    3. tsEnvironment
    4. tsDiagnose
    5. tsResolve
  2. The OASIS design contains only four:
    1. condition
    2. cause
    3. remedy
    4. troubleSolution
The only thing we are missing out on is <tsEnvironment>, which Bob's translation table suggests throwing in under <cause>.  Fair enough.  tsEnvironment is rarely used anyway, and the semantic argument that it really is a subcategory of causation makes sense.  More important is the separation of diagnosis and resolution, which would both be folded in under <remedy>.  But here's the mod entry for <troublebody>:
<!--                    LONG NAME: Troubleshooting Body            -->
<!ENTITY % troublebody.content
                       "(%condition;?,
                         %cause;?,
                         %remedy;?,
                         %troubleSolution;* )"

<!--                    LONG NAME: Troubleshooting Body division   -->
<!ENTITY % troubleSolution.content
                       "(%cause;|
                       %remedy;)*"

Element content

<condition> and <cause> are just sections, with no special content.  No problems there.

--Dan Dionne

User Technology Solutions
Department: HHX
Silicon Valley Lab