Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 13 Aug 2013 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItem:
1. All TC members should review Joann's question on the release mgmt proposal 13102 at:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00009.html
2. Con call on #13060, 13061 (Help Sc proposals)?

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 13 August 2013
Recorded by N. Harrison

regrets: JoAnn Hackos, Deb Bissantz, Chris Nitchie, Scott Hudson

Standing Business
=================
Minutes from last meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00012.html (6 August, Nancy Harrison)
Proposed by Don, seconded by Adrian, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports:
DITA Adoption TC Sept

Announcements:
none

Business
========
1. DITA 1.3 progress
Progress between 29 July and August 4: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00007.html (Eberlein)
Update on current deadlines: http://chris.nitchie.com/trellotrack/#511a73d76ee890a51c0007ed
Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/gPKH0OcF
no changes from last week; priority for Aug is to finish stage 2 proposals

2. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 2: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage2

Ready for vote:
Proposal 13060: Context Sensitive Help (Help SC)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201307/msg00101.html (DITA, uploaded 31 July)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201307/msg00102.html (HTML, uploaded 31 July)
MichaelP brought up the case for using resourceid instead of the new specialization of that element that's part of the proposal. Stan noted that the SC had considered using resourceid but found it inadequate.
Action Item: conference call to be scheduled among MichaelP, Robert, Stan, Kris, and Tony Self (who did the technical work on the proposal. The vote will take place after the call, and after any changes coming out of that call have been integrated into the proposal.

Proposal 13061: UA Window Definition (Help SC)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201307/msg00103.html (DITA, uploaded 31 July)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201307/msg00104.html (HTML, uploaded 31 July)
This has same issues as 13060; (see above)

Ready for discussion:

Proposal 13106: updates to the learning domain interactions elements (John Hunt, L&T SC)
{*} https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00019.html
John gave an 'admin' overview; This proposal already was approved for stage 2, but in the process of stage 3 review, some issues were discovered, so it's comeing back at stage 2.
-Amber went over the details of the proposal; in the original L&T specialization, you couldn't have multiple paragraphs/block elements in a question, because it was specialized from 'fig'. In the original plugin that Eliot created to fix the problem, and in relation to this proposal, the TC gave permission to break compatibility rather than create 34 nrew elements. But in working with the proposal, that turned out to be technically impossible. So they created the elements, but set them up so that it's either one set or the other - i.e., either all specialized from 'fig' or from 'div', but with identical names.
Discussion of implications:
The presence of the learning2 domain (the one with elements based on 'div') will obsolete the original learning[1] domain. So the question is, will everyone currently using learning1 will go to learning2?
- Amber; No, they won't, because they've already spent lots of time and money on specializing from the 1.2 DTDs, and those are now working for them.
- TomM; Are your client's customizations like this new thing?
- Amber; No, because they've introduced new structures
- Eliot; Previously, you just couldn't do this at all; you had to create a new elemens to wrap around q&A; those specializatyions can't just migrate to the new learning2 structure.
- Nancy; Should we formally deprecate learning1, so that when we go to dita 2.0, we can get rid of it?
- Eliot; right, but we can't get rid of them yet.
- TomM; Another backwards incompatibility question: in 2.0, would we rename learning2 to learning?
- Eliot; if we can use namespaces, we could certainly do that.
- JohnH; Do we have a policy on what it means to 'formally deprecate' elements,
because I can think of other L&T items we might want to deprecate.
- Kris; We dont' have a formal way to deprecate; we can consider how to do that.
- Tom; Are there any elements in the new Q&A you don't want?
- John; No, I'm thinking of elements in the broader L&T.
- Amber; We'll need to come up with what it means to do 'formal deprecation;'
- Kris; Yes, we'll develop one
Resolution; vote on this new version of the proposal next week.

Proposal 13097: New troubleshooting topic (Bob Thomas, submitted to TechComm list on 5 July)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201307/msg00098.html (Updates for 30 July)
Resume discussion with Dan Dionne's (IBM) input (expected)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00008.html (Dan Dionne, forwarded by Eberlein)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00013.html (Bob Thomas, updated draft)
Resolution: Hold on discussion until after a conference call on Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Proposal 13112: RelaxNG for DITA vocabulary (Kimber)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00082.html (DITA, uploaded 19 June 2013)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00084.html (PDF, uploaded 19 June 2013)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00083.html (HTML, uploaded 19 June 2013)
Eliot gave an overview: The main reason we never used RelaxNG (RNG) before is that RNG doesn't itself provide features for attributes, and there's a companion spec that does, but hadn't been implemented in processing tools. George Bina of SyncroSoft (OxygenXML) recently implemented in RNG companion code and in the DITA processing piopeline.
That has enabled the use of RNG. The advantage of RNG is its ability to use 'include' and pattern override mechanism that made it easier. You can have a single module that is 'self-integrating' So the overhead of creating doc shells goes way down. RNG offers 2 syntaxes, one DTD-like, one XSD-like. Also, it allows better methods for extension and constraints.
- Tom; Are we planning any constraints on processors to use RNG? or will it still be legal for tools to use DTD or XSD as their primary models? Also, is there anything that can be modeled in RNG that can't be modeled in DTD/XSD?
- Eliot; No to both questions, RNG is more expressive; for practical purposes, DTD is the lowest common denominator.
- Tom; Will the spec warn developers against doing stuff in XSD that can't be replicated in DTD?
- Eliot; Yes; we already do that for XSD
- Tom; This really may be something for the Adoption committee to be concerned with.
- Eliot; I expect that most specializers will want to work in RNG and generate DTDs/XSDs; I'm currently working on a tool to do that. George and I presented this at Balisage and got a lot of interest from other XML designers, including Norm Walsh.
- Dick; DocBook made a decision at 5.0 to use RNG as the 'base' format and take the hit of not being able to do the development in DTDs.
Resolution; vote on this proposal next week

3. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 3: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage3

Stage 3 review process: Responsibilities of proposal owner and reviewers
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00126.html (Eberlein, 25 June)

Ready for discussion

Proposal 13118: New domain for Ruby markup (Kimber; reviewed by Harrison and Hamilton)
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/50070/proposal-13118-rubydomain-stage-3.dita.pdf
{*} https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00015.html (recommendation from JoAnn)
Joann has concerns with this, and isn't here this week
Resolution: postpone to next week

Ready for vote:
none

4, New ITEM: [dita-techcomm] DITA 3.0 Stage 2 release management (13102) proposal question
{*} https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00009.html
ActionItem; all TC members; please look at this

5. ITEM: E-mail to dita-comment list
Key processing support for "-dita-use-conref-target2 value
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00123.html (Jarno Elvirta, 24 June 2013)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201307/msg00034.html (Anderson, 2 July)
Closed in a previous meeting?

meeting closed at 12:00

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 13 Aug 2013

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison