Subject: Re: [dita] Ruby Proposal: Response from Felix Sasaki

In that case, I formally request that proposal 13118, Ruby markup, be
withdrawn for DITA 1.3.

I will continue to track the Ruby progress in HTML5 and update the Ruby
domain in DITA for Publishers as appropriate. The current D4P plugin is
sufficient to generate working Ruby markup for HTML4 and HTML5 use for those
need an immediate solution.

Cheers,

Eliot

On 8/26/13 1:11 PM, "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com> wrote:

> Sounds like the best course of action. Thanks for checking.
> JoAnn
>

> JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
> President
> Comtech Services Inc.
> 710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
> Denver, CO 80215
> Joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
> 303-232-7586
>
> CIDM will be hosting the Best Practices Conference in Savannah, Georgia
> September 16-18. More information at:
> http://www.infomanagementcenter.com/bestpractices/2013/index.htm
>

> On 8/26/13 12:10 PM, "Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@rsicms.com> wrote:
>
>> I got a response from Felix. The net of his response is that no-one has
>> yet
>> figured out a complete markup solution to the complex typographic
>> requirements outlined in this document:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#ruby_and_emphasis_dots
>>
>> Thus, there is as yet no general consensus on the proper Ruby markup
>> design.
>>
>> That suggests that our best course of action is to avoid the issue for now
>> and see what settles out. I can also spend a bit more time reviewing the
>> referenced document and see if I can contribute to the design discussion
>> in
>> HTML5 or wherever it's happening.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> E.
>>

>> On 8/26/13 12:43 PM, "Nancy Harrison" <nharrison@infobridge-solutions.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>         Submitter's message
>>>  Note action items:
>>> 1. All TC members need to review the release management proposal (link
>>> below)
>>> 2. Eliot will contact Felix Sasaki re: status of HTML5 wrt ruby elements
>>>

>>> Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
>>> Tuesday, 20 August 2013
>>> Recorded by N. Harrison
>>>
>>> regrets:   Deb Bissantz
>>>

>>> Standing Business
>>> =================
>>> Minutes from last meeting:
>>> https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00012.html (6
>>> August,
>>> Nancy Harrison)
>>> Proposed by Kris, seconded by Joann, approved by TC
>>>

>>> Subcommittee Reports:
>>> DITA Adoption TC Sept
>>>
>>> Announcements:
>>> none
>>>

>>> Business
>>> ========
>>> 1. DITA 1.3 progress
>>>  Progress: No changes
>>>  Update on current deadlines:
>>> http://chris.nitchie.com/trellotrack/#511a73d76ee890a51c0007ed
>>>  Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/gPKH0OcF
>>> Priority for Aug is to finish stage 2 proposals
>>>

>>> 2. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 2:
>>> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage2
>>>
>>> Special meetings were held last week on the proposals from the Help SC
>>> (13060,
>>> 13061) and the troubleshooting topic proposal (13097). (The results of
> [...]
>>> - Don; they've committed to not changing the number
>>> [discussion on lack of stability of HTML5 - it can and will change at
>>> any
>>> time]
>>> - Don; do we want to track HTML5 or not? as a standard or a
>>> transformational
>>> target?
>>> Resolution; Eliot will contact Felix on status of ruby in HTML5
>>>
>>> Ready for vote:
>>>  none
>>>

>>> 4, New ITEM: [dita-techcomm] DITA 3.0 Stage 2 release management (13102)
>>> proposal question
>>>  {*} https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00009.html
>>> Stan gave overview; (Tom Cihak came on later, after having had some
>>> trouble
>>> connecting) Tom & he SC identified  areas that have architectural
>>> issues (e.g.
>>> what's a list vs. an editable list? should the information be in
>>> booklists, or
>>> a tight little specialization of prolog?)
>>> - Kris; is SC now thinking in terms of a smaller proposal?
>>> - TomC; the plan is to specialize prolog, plus put in a placeholder for
>>> elements that aren't processed by the DITA-OT, but could be harvested
>>> downstream by a processor. Booklists was suggested, but booklists are
>>> published in the document, and this content ordinarily wouldn't be.
>>> - Eliot; anything done for this shouldn't be specific to bookmap,
>>> should work
>>> for maps generally.
>>> - Don; notes need to be collected where they lie or in some gathering
>>> place.
>>> - Joann; one of our major use cases was medical devices; those
>>> manufacturers
>>> have to create a report on every note within their documents.
>>> - TomC; we're doing same thing in Frescale; we're currently collecting
>>> notes
>>> in separate topics, but would prefer the changes to be within the
>>> actual topic
>>> - Kris; thanks to the SC for the work on the proposal; note that within
>>> the
>>> 1.3 schedule, it's coming late to the TC as a whole.
>>> - Don; the problem is really in 2 parts, which we need to separate in
>>> order to
>>> make progress.
>>> 1. is there a complete way to indicate metadata?
>>> 2. how do we indicate collection and use of that metadata?
>>> - Joann asked for a vote on the proposal.
>>> - Kris; a complete version of the proposal hasn't been fully discussed
>>> by the
>>> TC, so we can't yet vote on it. Depending on how quickly the proposal
>>> could be
>>> completed and brought before the TC, it might or might not make it into
>>> 1.3.
>>> Other important functionality - e.g. Lightweight DITA - has already been
>>> separated from 1.3.
>>> - Don; Let's we give this proposal one extra week to get completely
>>> up. - Kris; We can do that, but we need to avoid putting 'half-baked