Subject: Feature 13097, troubleshooting topic, need to add title to section-like elements

The stylesheet-supplied, string method is sufficient for troubleshooting topics that contain a single cause-remedy pair (simple troubleshooting topics). But, in topics that contain two or more cause-remedy pairs (complex troubleshooting topics), the author is left with no good way to label the pairs so that the reader can easily distinguish them from each other. For complex troubleshooting topics, the labels for the causes need to indicate the nature of each cause.

The <remedy> element also needs <title> whenever remedy appears without an associated cause. For example, a common final fallback in a complex troubleshooting topic would be a stand-alone remedy such as this:

<troubleSolution>

 <remedy>

   <title>Contact technical support</title>

   <steps-unordered>

   </steps-unordered>

 </remedy>

</troubleSolution>

As for <title> in <condition>, allowing it would make troubleshooting easier to use for related remedial information such alarms, events, and errors. For example:

<troubleshooting>

 <title>ALM934</title>

 <troublebody>

   <condition>

     <title>Severity</title>

   </condition>

   <troubleSolution>

     <cause>...</cause>

     <remedy>...</remedy>

   </troubleSolution>

 </troublebody>

</troubleshooting>

In another alarm scenario, an organization may wish to use <condition> to present things the reader ought to consider before proceeding. In this case, they would have:

<condition>

<title>Considerations</title>

Adding optional <title> to <condition> would also facilitate specialization.

At this point I need feedback on these changes. If the TC agrees with proposed changes, I will need advice on how to proceed with this while staying inside the bounds of the feature approval process. Meanwhile, I would like to add this item to the agenda for the next TC meeting.

Best Regards,
--
Bob Thomas
+1 720 201 8260