Subject: RE: [dita] New version of 13004 Scoped Keys updated

Hi Chris

I had a look – there was something called “DITA 1.3 proposed feature #13004”. which has a Use Cases section with some great discussion.

Also saw another post with a diagram but not with Use Cases.

Aside from the multiple docs.

I still do the prefer the model of 1 keyspace per keyscope as opposed to the one global keyspace.

Thus, there are key definitions which go into each of these spaces/scopes – with a simple name (as in the keys attribute)  dups are eliminated within the space.

Addressing happens when resolving a keyref.  And it walks a tree of spaces/scopes from top down and finds the first match.  This top down process will match on simple key name or global name – eg: when you walk into scope A and encounter keyname “c” a reference to “A.c” will match as well as “c”

I think you are going for a single space with copy up and copy down of definitions.

Both these models seem close – so perhaps which model is not an issue – I guess I like the ”fence” to be a space and a scope at the same time.

From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:dita@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Chris Nitchie
Sent: October-17-13 4:29 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita] New version of 13004 Scoped Keys updated

Folks,

I've updated a new version of proposal 13004, scoped keys. I used Kris's rev-marked version as a starting point and added new @rev markers for the latest changes; see the '-withchanges' document to see the highlights.

The biggest change is a new topic, to go after 'Key-based addressing' in the architectural spec, laying out how keys propagate up and down the scope hierarchy, with a graphic illustrating the process, and some examples of how keys are resolved in such a structure. I think it's probably the clearest explanation of the concepts I've come up with so far. I did not wind up incorporating any of the questions from Tom Magliery and his team into the 'Examples' section; while good, they're also considerably detailed, requiring paragraphs of explanation, and I think they're largely obviated by the new topic.

Unfortunately, I'll have to miss the next TC meeting on October 29. But please feel free to send any feedback my way via e-mail.

Chris

P.S. Sorry for all the notifications; I initially mixed up the HTML and DITA versions. Hopefully it's all straightened out now.

Chris Nitchie

(734) 330-2978

chris.nitchie@oberontech.com

www.oberontech.com