Subject: Re: [dita] Re: Chunking and Composite Topics

I spent some time over the holiday weekend reviewing chunking. The
problem, as I see it, isn’t with the topic, per se; it’s the fact that the
chunking attribute itself is extremely problematic. The default tokens are
vague and difficult to remember, its functionality is based on assumptions
that don’t apply for all processors, and most importantly, it is so
overloaded as to be almost indescribable.

Fundamentally, it’s responsible for two use cases:

1. Customizing the behavior of references to subsets of compound
topics/ditabases.
2. Combining content referenced by ’this’ topicref and child topicrefs
into a single output chunk.

The spec breaks this down further, into three things:

A. Selecting topics (select-*)
B. Splitting of those topics into chunks (as-*)
C. ‘Rendering’ the map branch (to-*)

I’d argue that (A) and (B) are different aspects of use-case (1), and (C)
is use-case (2), though you wouldn’t know it from the current spec
language. It’s not quite that clean, though, because the to-* tokens, as
far as I can tell, play double duty, controlling both the combining of
child topics, as well as informing the results of the selection performed
by select-*.

For example, when I reference ditabase.dita#TopicC

* By default (with the OTK), the navigation points to TopicC, but all of
ditabase.dita is rendered as a single chunk.
* chunk=“by-topic” or “select-topic to-content” will extract only TopicC
into its own chunk.
* chunk=“select-branch to-content” will extract TopicC and its children
into a single chunk.
* chunk=“select-branch by-topic” will extract TopicC and its children,
each to its own chunk (though specifying ’to-content’ appears to override
‘by-topic’).

And so on. I’ve actually started putting together a cheat-sheet based on
trial and error, because there’s no way I can keep all the different
combinations in my head.

Meanwhile, the only values that really matter when dealing with a parent
trying to combine/split its children are the to-* tokens, to-navigation
and to-content. The to-content value combines the topicref and its
children into one chunk, to-navigation... doesn’t. I’m frankly mystified
as to what to-navigation is supposed to do, and I’ve been at this for
hours. The spec isn’t much help. It says something about “navigation
chunks” but never really defines what that means, except in a
parenthetical that I’m having trouble making sense of.

Re: default behavior. The spec more or less explicitly states that there
is no spec-mandated default behavior, so a processor is free to chunk
using the select-branch to-content algorithm suggested by Noz, and I know
of at least one implementation that does. Sort of. (Arbortext selects the
branch and throws the rest away, but from there, chunking/ToC generation
is controlled by the stylesheet.)

I think a lot of the complexity/confusion here stems from the fact that
the OTK does its best to have one output chunk per input topic/ditabase
file, but the ‘chunk’ attribute allows you to tweak that. The spec is
operating on the assumption that all DITA processing attempts to optimize
along similar lines (there’s a similar issue with @copy-to), but nowhere
does the spec (as far as I know) *mandate* this behavior. I’ve always
found that optimization problematic because metadata from the topicref can
cascade into the topic, and so it’s very difficult to determine equality
between two topicrefs, even when they’re to the same URI. As we introduce
more features like scoped keys and branch filtering, this problem will
continue to get worse. Post-1.3, I think we need to start moving away from
that implicit one-to-one input topic/output chunk assumption in the spec,
and move towards a paradigm where each (non-resource-only local dita)
topicref represents its own output unit.

So for 1.3, I think we need to revisit the language describing
to-navigation. The other spec-specified values are pretty good, taken in
isolation; the challenge comes when trying to think through how different
combinations of values might affect output, and it’s in the combinations
that the real value lies. The existing examples are good, though I’d
suggest adding a simple ‘select a branch from a ditabase’ example as #3;
#1 is simple chunking, #2 is simple bursting, and then #3 jumps into
nested chunking, so a simple branch-selection example might help ease
people in. Other than that, though, I’m not sure how much we can do.

Post-1.3, I think we should consider deprecating the ‘chunk’ attribute
altogether and replacing it with more fine-grained control attributes.
Just off the top of my head (pseudo-DTD):

<!ATTLIST chunk-replacement “
  topic-selection (topic|branch|all) <!-- DEFAULT ‘all’ —>
  topic-split (yes|no) <!-- DEFAULT ’no’ -->
  topic-merge (yes|no) <!-- DEFAULT ’no’ -->
  topic-nav (per-topic|first-topic) <!-- DEFAULT ‘first-topic’ -->
“>

* topic-selection controls what amount of the referenced file is
considered the content unit. CDATA and extensible.
* topic-split indicates whether to break up the selected content unit into
individual output chunks.
* topic-merge specifies whether to combine the referenced content unit (or
pseudo-content-unit for topicheads) with content referenced beneath it
into a single chunk. Topic-merge takes precedence over topic-chunk.
* topic-nav controls whether navigation/ToC entries are generated for
nested topics in the logical content unit resulting from topic-selection
and topic-merge (and possibly to what depth). As an alternative, we could
extend @toc. CDATA and extensible.

I think this enables everything currently possible using the ‘chunk’
attribute, and the specified defaults map to the current default OTK
behavior. It also allows something that I couldn’t get working in the OTK
without multiple topicrefs, namely, including a compound topic as a single
chunk with multiple TOC entries. Splitting the functions of the chunk
attribute each into their own more specific, fine-grained attributes
would, I think, make life easier for just about everybody.

Chris

Chris Nitchie
(734) 330-2978
chris.nitchie@oberontech.com