Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 7 January 2014 uploaded

Submitter's message
Action Item summary:

1. Eliot needs to complete and test the transforms from RNG to XSD and DTD in time for the TC to approve them by January end.
2. @outputclass needs to be added to 'searchtitle' in the XSD, DTD, and RNG implementations for 1.3. It will also need to be added to the 'fixed bugs' list.
3. ActionItem; Eliot will draft changes to the interop topic to address differences in resolution order between conref and filtering.
4. ActionItem; Kris and Nancy need to work out a method for tracking ActionItems, Trello or something else...
5. ActionItem; Michael will come up will new spec language for constraint compatibility
6. Bob Thomas will update KAVI to remove 'indexterm' from 'title' in the 'cause/condition/remedy' elements.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 7 January 2014
Recorded by N. Harrison

regrets: Scott Hudson

Standing Business
=================
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00098.html (17 December, Dick Hamilton)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Stan, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
none

Announcements
- thanks to Don over his legacy as TC chair/co-chair
- New presentation about DITA/S1000D Bridge on 7 January 2014
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00125.html (Magliery, 18 December 2013)
- DITA 1.2 XSD updated
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00135.html (Sirois, 23 December 2013)
- Lightweight DITA draft uploaded
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00129.html (Priestley, 19 December 2013)

Business
========
1. Closing the Enterprise Business Documents and Machine Industry subcommittees
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201401/msg00004.html
Kris noted that the Enterprise Business SC has no chair, and hasn't met in several years; the Machine Industry SC tried to resurrect itself last year, but without success.
Kris moved to close both, 2nded by Don, approved by TC

2. DITA 1.3 progress
Progress: 17 December 2013 - 5 January 2014: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201401/msg00002.html (Eberlein, 6 January 2014)
Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/gPKH0OcF
Kris noted that we came very close to completing work in 2013; completed stage 3 word on all but RelaxNG proposal, which we'll finish today.

3. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 3
Ready for vote: Voting options are "Yes," "No," and "Abstain"
Proposal 13112: RelaxNG for DITA vocabulary (Kimber; Reviewers: Scott Hudson, Dick Hamilton)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00093.html (DITA)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00094.html (HTML)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00095.html (PDF)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201311/msg00173.html (DITA-OT plug-ins)
It was noted that we can vote on this today only with the contingency that the transforms from RNG to XSD and DTD will be finished, tested, and approved by January end
Proposal was proposed by Eliot, 2nded by Dick, approved unanimously by TC
Yes votes: Bissantz, Day, Doherty, Eberlein, Hackos, Hamilton, Harrison, Helfinstine, Kimber, Magliery, Nitchie, Priestley

4. New item: Missing (or extra) attribute on searchtitle
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201311/msg00228.html (Anderson, 27 November 2013)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201311/msg00230.html (Day, 27 November 2013)
Robert noted in his mail that the specification topic for 'searchtitle' says that it has @outputclass, but it's never been implemented. In line with the mail thread above, Don, Eliot, and Mark all supported retaining it and treating it as a bug fix.
Resolution; this needs to be added to the XSD, DTD, and RNG implementations for 1.3. It will also need to be added to the 'fixed bugs' list.

5. New item: Chunking and composite topics
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00007.html (Nitchie, 2 December 2013)
Chris gave an overview on @chunking issues. Basically, it's so overloaded as to be almost indescribable.

Fundamentally, it?s responsible for two use cases:
1. Customizing the behavior of references to subsets of compound
topics/ditabases.
2. Combining content referenced by ?this? topicref and child topicrefs
into a single output chunk.

The whole thing would probably be best handled by deprecating existing @s and breaking them into a new model. In the meantime, the spec language can be tweaked, but with conception with @ itself.
Kris; we can't do anythihng for 1.3; what was origin of chunking?
Michael; I can't remember, I'd have to go back and check.
Chris; think it was around but underspecified in 1.0
Michael; it does a lot of different things; I don't know what the right answer is, we certainly couldn't fix it in this release. In the future, we could add new functionality to substitute for some of it, and leave chunking for the remainder.
Chris; the problem with that is backwards commpatibility; we'd have to keep it forever.
Michael; I don't know if there's any difference between deprecating all or part of something.
Kris; what do tools do with it, besides DITA-OT?
Michael; there's no mandated default, so some of the confusion in the spec was to reflect differences in tools' implementation. Both of the 2 original major implementations (Frame and Arbortext) did full functionality, but each started with different pieces and went from there.
Chris; I agree that not mandating a default behavior is a problem; I really think the problem is using one @ for both splitting and combining.
Michael; I believe it's currently dificult but not impossible to figure out what you'll get.
Chris; I was surprised as often as not; it's hard to figure out if it's the tool, or my understanding of the spec.
Kris; for 1.3, we're limited to improvements in spec language. Joann, has this come up in either the Adoption or TechComm committees?
Joann; no, not at all
Kris; people are either using simple values, or banging their heads against a wall, nothing in between. I propose adding this to post 1.3, as well as looking to fix the spec in whatever ways we can in 1.3.

6. New item: Different effects from order of conref and filtering processing
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00047.html (Kimber, 9 December 2013)
Eliot gave an overview; on last's phone call regarding conref and filtering processing, he had originally thought there could be no processing differences arising from the resolution order. He now realizes there can be. when the referencing element and the referenced element are both conditional on the same property and have different applicabilities, depending on the value of the @-dita-use-conref-target attribute. He thinks things are usually straightforward, but could be ambiguous, depending on form of addressing you're using.
Kris; do we need to make any corrections or amendments to the spec, wrt the interoperability appendix?
Eliot, yes, we do need to fix that. I'm willing to take a stab at fixing it.
ActionItem; Eliot will draft changes to the interop topic to address this.
ActionItem; Kris and Nancy need to work out a method for tracking ActionItems, Trello or something else...

7. New item: dita-comment -- "Remove or change emphasis of spec section on constraint compatibility?"
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201312/msg00000.html (Joe Pairman, 16 December)
Seven following e-mails between Jeremy Griffith, Joe Pairman, and Michael Priestley
Michael gave an overview; this was discussed before in context of lightweight DITA proposal. The question was whether language was as constrained or more constrained than necessary. The original proposal included a 'per-constraint' flag. We could make it more clear and put a stake in ground; i.e. we could say that 'by default, constraints don't affect conref; if you want, you can add a flag to do that'. That means that if you have a specialized and a general task, you might want to have the ability to conref between them.
Joann; I wrote the original descriptions of gen'l and constrained tasks; they say you cannot use both of them if you want conrefability.
Michael; There's no conflict in the spec; the current spec allows it to be either way; the processor isn't required to validate constraint diffs.
Joann; are we no longer saying you shouldn't use both task types in the same docuement set? Because we said that clearly when we introduced the general task.
Michael; IMHO, there should be no technical reason, though there may be non-techbnical ones. We could make 'use constraint processing ' the default processing choice.
Joann; Why?
Michael; e.g., if i have a dev. org that wants to use gen'l task for ease of use, and another org, tech writing, that wants to use constrained task for authoring specificity.
Joann; we say not to do that just because of the difficulty of enforcement.
Michael; we have both types because different groups are likely to make different choices; we want them to be able to reuse as much as possible. e.g. they may want to reuse steps within a task, but not the context and results around that.
Joann; that means I could have a writer who decides to conref in a section
Michael; no, you couldn't; sections aren't allowed in strict tasks.
Joann; what's the possiblility of breaking down the task model?
Michael; conref is always 'like element' to 'like element'; it's mostly wanted at the task title level; from a constrained task, you ocnref a unconstrained taskbody model. Right now you can't do that. My proposal would allow it but include a flag allowing it to be restricted with a flag, and that flag would be on by default. It does have strong implications for specialized/general task construction
Kris; Michael, can you go back and take a look at the TechComm content on gen'l task/constrained task in the spec and work out the suggested changes?
Michael; if we make a decision to say we want to make constraints looser by default, we could still make it tight in both the gen'l & strict task models
Kris; originally, we wanted to tighten up the spec language to make it more clear, and thought the default would be weak, with processors adding flags to make it strong.
ActionItem; Michael will come up will new spec langauage for this

8. New item: Bug in definition of @collection-type in DTD
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00101.html (Anderson, 17 December 2013)
Hold till Robert is present on call

9. New item: More attribute discrepancies - conref attributes on map
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00104.html (Anderson, 17 December 2013)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00105.html (Anderson, 17 December 2013)
Hold till Robert is present on call

10. New item: Clarification about note/@type update for troubleshooting
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00117.html (Anderson, 18 December 2013)
Hold till Robert is present on call

11. New item: Allowing metadata to precede title in 13097 troubleshooting section specializations
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00130.html (Thomas)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00131.html (Kimber)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00132.html (Thomas)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00133.html (Hackos)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201312/msg00136.html (Anderson)
Bob Thomas gave an overview; he's looking to make a slight mo dification to the troubleshooting topic after input from Eliot and Joann. Originally, in defining the 'cause/condition/remedy' elements, he thought 'indexterm' needed to precede 'title'; Eliot noted that it just adds complexity without any payoff. So he'd like to remove it from content models for the specialization.
Kris; we don't do that in any other specialization, do we?
Bob; I'm currently looking it as a design error.
With support from the rest of the TechComm SC and from Eliot, it was decided to
support this; Bob will update KAVI to reflect the change

12. DITA 1.3 infrastructure and editorial work
Hold till Robert is present on call

meeting closed at 11:54

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 7 January 2014

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison