Subject: RE: [dita] Looking for best generic language to refer to DTD, XSD, and RELAX NG in the DITA 1.3 spec

Is there any way we can visibly elevate our finally-chosen term to some kind of revered status like the "MUST" and "SHOULD"s of the world? What I mean is something that will cause any reader to subconsciously recognize every time they encounter the term (when used in the normative way) that this term Has A Significant Meaning whose definition they should be sure to seek out and understand before reading any further.

Maybe mark it up with <term> or some such thing that would end up visibly styled in the published spec? (At least in some forms if not all.)

This might help to avoid reader confusion in the long run, no matter which choice we end up with.

FWIW, my feelings strongly echo Bob's from start to finish, except that I was going to say "schema definition language".

On top of the baggage already mentioned, "schema" all by itself has the very unfortunate additional baggage of being confused with "W3C Schema".

mag

From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:dita@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Bob Thomas
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:21 AM
To: Eliot Kimber
Cc: Kristen James Eberlein; DITA TC

I believe that using "schema" would be the least surprising for most of our readers. "XML schema language" would be more accurate, but it would be cumbersome to work into the wording giving it a legalistic tone that occludes meaning.

Even though I prefer "schema" for the reader's sake, my first choice is for the specification is "grammar". Eliot's concerns, about schema connoting a degree of specificity that isn't present, are what convince me "grammar" is a better choice. There is simply too much computer-science baggage attached to the word "schema".

Whatever we decide needs to be documented in the specification's Terminology section.

[Eliot, sorry for the redundant message. I meant to reply to all in the first one you received.]

Best Regards,

Bob Thomas