Subject: Branch filtering elements: for discussion 4/15

Hi,

This is a reminder about the following thread, and 2 responses:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201403/msg00160.html

In short: evaluating the <ditavalref> for branch filtering can result in new keys. For reasons explained in the thread, the proposed keynamePrefix and keynameSuffix elements can cause havoc in trying to resolve keys, while the alternative approach of adding/modifying key scopes treats this mechanism similar to any other key scope process. I've proposed removing the keyname* elements in favor of the scope ones; Eliot agreed and Chris gave an additional strong justification.

In addition to that, Chris made a good case to me that supplying the prefix/suffix for scope names is unnecessary; using the branch filter mechanism effectively creates a new scope anyway, so we could just a single element to name that new key scope. Following from that, it strikes me that if specifying a single scope name, we could also just add the existing keyscope attribute to <ditavalref>, but that presupposes that we only want the ability to rename (not modify) scopes. I'd be happy with either solution.

Thanks,

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)