Subject: Fwd: New potential to bring up rebasing DITA on HTML

What I wrote to Michael seems general enough to resend as is to the TC list:

I have been looking at this mechanism as a potential specialization mechanism for use in the DITA 2.0 timeframe:
http://gaslight.co/blog/roll-your-own-html5-web-components-with-vanilla-js
http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/webcomponents/customelements/

Rather than using XML design patterns, this approach is fully about the Web Way of doing business. From our point of view, the design pattern for specialization simply moves from the schema side of the architecture into the imports function of Web Components. If we can find a way to bind the two patterns, content produced in a Web-only shop should be interoperable with conventional DITA based processes. Why DITA 2.0? If this is actually feasible, we might finally be able to fulfill the Erik Hennum vision for rebasing DITA on HTML, which I still find to be appealing--particularly for providing DITA with a long enough runway to actually persist in a post-XML world (ref. http://blog.jclark.com/2010/11/xml-vs-web_24.html?m=1 ). My greatest fear for DITA's current track is that the present scope of use continually moves it further and further from being a direct-use format. lwDITA effectively intercepts that problem for a short time, but I'm concerned that the architecture still allows introducing processing dependencies that would move some content built in that space into processing-dependent modality again--basically binding the use of that content back to the juggernaut systems and editors that I fear will discourage web developers from adopting.

Web Components are also responsible for promoting the all-javascript replacement for the DOM--the phenomenon ISTR has been called "page full of empty divs" where little content is actually queriable in the page--it's just used to paint glyphs on the canvas. This proposal may give the node.js world a reason to use that extensibility as intelligent source rather than just as pigment.

In a sense, providing a social life for DITA may be an important factor for its evolutionary survival beyond the techcomm-nurtured era.