Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 3 June 2014 uploaded

Submitter's message
Note: this has the DITA webinar date as Thursday, July 31. Did we change that, or leave it be?
Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 3 June 2014
Recorded by N. Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

regrets: Deb Bissantz, David Helfinstine, Chris Nitchie

Standing Business
=================
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201406/msg00004.html (27 May, Nancy Harrison)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Dick, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
Help Subcommittee:
[stan not on at beginning of call]

Announcements
none

Business
========
1. DITA 1.3 progress
- Redesign of "Contains and Contains by" (Anderson)
TC will be looking at prototype later in call
- First spec review (Eberlein & Anderson)
No updates
- Transformation utilities and DITA 1.3 grammar files
No updates

2. Continued item: Proposal for Lightweight DITA subcommittee
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201405/msg00023.html (Priestley, 27 May 2014)
Michael moved the proposal to create a Leightweight DITA SC with himself as chair; 2nded by Bob Thomas. There were no objections and no discussion, so this proposal is now approved.

3. Prototype of "Contains and Contains by" (Anderson)
Meeting link: https://apps.na.collabserv.com/meetings/join?id=2891-8792
Password for the meeting: meet4dita
Robert gave a demo of his current prototype; noted that in 1.2, contains/contained by was done through one huge sonref file; then all the data was pulled in with keys. So, whenever we publish a spec, every time each element has to conref from one gigantic file, so a lot of processing, takes a very long time, AND we can't change content by package in a practical way.

In the new proposal: the contains/contained by info is displayed in a separate appendix, not in with the element definition itself, so it's easier to be in separate packages, and it's much simpler publishing. The spec generation time was cut by ~2/3 (~30min -> ~10min for all packages). We could also publish PDF and turn all xrefs into keys that go out to html, so the tables wouldn't need to be printed. That would cut 800 pp from PDF -> L&T PDF (750pp + 500pp of contains/by content).
- Eliot; another possibility would be to publish PDF in 2 parts; one without the tables, the other just the tables.
- Kris; I'd like to get feedback on the info design.
- Robert; I would also like to hard code the content model info, instead of pulling it in by conref. I've also broken up the appendix into 26 letter groups
- Don; this is highly usable, we really appreciate your work on it. It's about time we retrain our users to like something that's easier to use.
- Michael; if 'complexity' is related to page count, DITA has now become much less complex, just thru this effort.
- Kris; this is great Robert, you've knocked it out of the park.
- Robert; for the next review cycle, we can just build it
- Stan, Robert, this would be a great design article for the Adoption TC; i.e., this is a conref problem we had, this is how we solved it.
- Kris; we may want to tweak the actual c/c-b models and language.
- Kris; any questions and /or reservations? this is significantly diff from 1.2
- Tom; all the auto-generated files, will those have to be generated by anyone regenerating the spec? and are there directions for doing so?
- Robert, yes, and no, but there will be. The process is much simpler than the previous one.
- Kris; one more reason to move to RNG...

4. DITA 1.3 webinar, jointly sponsored by DITA TC and DITA Adoption TC
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201406/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 3 June 2014)
Kris; This will be a 90 min webinar on Thursday, July 31, jointly sponsored by Adoption and DITA TCs, it will provide info about a scoped set of features.
- Joann; the focus is on adoption and getting to know about features from an adoption point of view, but we want to focus on adoption to get people to know what's coming.
- Tom; from the vendor POV, this is more important that a technical session, so we can get feedback from our customers.
- Kris; we really want end users thinking about 1.3 and talking to their vendors to push them to have vendors support them.
- Michael; is it worth talking about what was added before 1.4? (at a very high level)?
- Kris; when I do the 1.3 overview, I'll include major changes from 1.0 on.
- Joann; we probably need a table with new features in each version
- Kris; would be nice to have a handout with a description of all 1.3 features..
- Joann; we'd like to have agreement on the TOC for the webinar.
- [Discussion and confirmation of proposed list of speakers. All confirmed except for Deb; she won't be able to do domains, so Nancy will cover that.]
- Kris; one thing to think about; if we start with some polls, we might get some useful data, e.g. what version are you using? (1.1, 1.2, don't know...)
- Tom; we should check that the conferencing system can support that many presenters.
- Kris; might want to have Michael do something on DITA Lite
- Michael; i'll be in the middle of a lake, with very poor cellphone reception.
- Tom; vendors want to know exactly what users' perspective is on 'what's in it, why would you want to use them?'
- Joann; what we need is the 'wow' factor.
- Kris; but rooted in reality... maybe we could get a piece of the OASIS slide deck.

ended at 11:55

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 3 June 2014

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison