Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 15 July 2014 uploaded

Submitter's message
Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 15 July 2014
Recorded by N. Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

regrets: Eliot Kimber, Joann Hackos

Standing Business
=================
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201407/msg00011.html (8 July, Stan Doherty)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Dick, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
none

Announcements
none

Business
========
1. DITA 1.3 progress
- First spec review (Eberlein & Anderson)
- Transformation utilities and DITA 1.3 grammar files (Kimber)
nothing new...

2. Continued item: Questions about OASIS document-type shells for DITA 1.3
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201406/msg00019.html (Anderson, 10 June 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201407/msg00002.html (Kimber, 01 July 2014)
An Excel spreadsheet is attached to the above message; it contains an analysis of what domains are included in the map shells
Spreadsheet reviewed and updated at DITA TC call, 8 July 2014
[see discussion under item #3]

3. New item: Coeriencemprehensive tables of doctypes / domains
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201407/msg00010.html (Anderson, 9 July 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201407/msg00014.html (Kimber, 10 July 2014)

Overview by Kris of Robert's tables of doctypes, domains, & packages; he tried to have these rerpresent what's already in SVN, so they don't reflect what we may actually want, but what's already there. He lists particular domains shipped in particular packages.

Kris; ditabase needs to include deliverytarget domain
Kris; one question is; what are the new domains, and what shells do they need to go into for 1.3?
Some thoughts/questions wrt the tables and new 1.3 domains:
- ditavalref -> this should be in all maps, but not topics?
- MathML/equations domains - this is now in all TechC0mm topics except MI onee; is there a reason it shouldn't be in ditabase? and should it be in MI task?
[Michael; I can't think of any reason, but I have no exp in MI area]
- markupDomain/xmlDomain - should this be in ditabase?

Kris; wrt ditabase, in general, i think ditabase needs all domains
Kris; JohnH; what do you think should be in L&T
John; we decided to keep most domains out of L&T by default, so as not to overwhelm users.
Mark; I agree; it's easy to turn them on.
Kris; what about release mgmt domain?
John; yes, that should be included.
Kris; right now, rel. mgmt. is in all topics, but not in maps
John; if we're going to include it at all, i'd have it in map also.
Mark; my concern is to be consistent with other domains
Kris; do we want it in, even though most people will crete their own shells.?
John; rel. mgmt. seems to be a different type of domain from others.

Kris; wrt SVG domain - add to ditabase and MI task?
Kris; some domains were left out of subjectscheme; I usually add them back because it's useful, especially for XML mention domain.
Other observations:
- xmldomain is only in bookmap, not in TC map
- glossref is only in basic tech content map, should it be in bookmap?
(Mark / John, do you have any comments on what shells are using what for L&T domain?)
John; the question here is wrt adding learningdomain2 with base2; this looks straightforwrd.

Robert; everything in the tables is straightforward, but 2 ways to look at it:
- look at domain who doesn't include it?
- doctypes together; which ones match, which ones dont...

Kris; rel mgmt needs to be added to other TC maps. Other than ditabase, were there other obvious missing pieces?
Robert; most we talked about last week,
Robert; pr-d and sfw-d domains; I'm pretty sure they're deliberately left out of MI task; Chris Kravogel wanted it to be'sparse'
Kris; for those building shells for clients, are there things you're usually adding, rather than subtracting? or vice versa?
Robert; this is intended to be a clear picture of where things are, to clarify current state. It's a dita topic, so it could be put in the spec.
Kris; it would be good for everyone to go through the list of 1.3 domains, and see if you think they need to be here.
Robert; xmlmention belongs in the techcomm map
Kris; so we probably want it in bookmap as well.
Robert; if no one else has opinion, i'd add xmlmention to bookmap and map, I'd leave SVG out, and add it only if soeone has a strong opinion, What about subjectscheme for XMLmention?
Kris; Robert, where you have things bolded, is that where something's missing that should be there?
Robert; yes, so rel mgmt should be in bookmap? And what about glossref in map?
Maybe we should leave it out?
Kris; this refers to abbrev domain, but you can't findit
BobT; also this isn't using the correct precise terminology for bookmap, and we need to add xmlmention, markup, and rel mgmt. XMLmention needs to be in ditabase; ditabase should have parity with all other topics.

Robert: wrt table 3; have John and Mark looked at them?
Mark; no
John; yes, they look good to me, but are there new shells intended that use new domains?
Robert; sort of a separate question, but not exactly... In the SVN repository where everything is stored, there are extra shells for learning assessment (LA).
John; to me this looks right; we're basically excluding most domains, but including techcomm stuff plus org/xnal stuff, should just add rel mgmt.,
additional shells to allow new combinations that are now possible for L&T.
Kris; how many shells are in the new and old domains? For 1.3, we have to include both original and new, in case you need them; but now, there are 3 LA shells
LA - with everything old and new
LA1 - only uses old stuff and relies on deprecated stuff.
LA2 - only uses new elements
For LA1 and LA2, you may have to migrate the content, If we ship all three, we'd bloat the spec and confuse users very much.
[discussion - TC consensus was that we don't want extra la1/la2, just LA with everything, with recommendation that authoring tools will be able to display just 1 or 2.]

4. Continued item: Suggested TC position with regard to XSD usage
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201407/msg00003.html (Day, 8 July 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201407/msg00012.html (Kimber, 10 July 2014)
Don gave an overview on his mail from 8 July; it's time to make a statement that we're moving away from XSD towards RNC/RNG as normative _expression_ of DITA, and to give a warning wrt to users and vendors.
Kris; Eliot's piece is a good start, but it needs a serious edit.
Don; i'll take a look at it
Dick; I'd be willing to look at it also, but Don knows the material better;
Kris; maybe both of you could review it; it's good content, but needs editing to cut it about in half.

5. On-going item: DITA 1.3 webinar, jointly sponsored by DITA TC and DITA Adoption TC
New dates:
Rehearsal: Mon., 4 Aug., 11 AM -12:30 PM ET (please join 15 minutes early)
Webinar: Thurs., 7 Aug., 11 AM -12:30 PM ET (please join 15 minutes early)
Program:
Introduction ? JoAnn Hackos
Update on the DITA 1.3 status ? Kris Eberlein
Troubleshooting ? Bob Thomas
Release management ? Tom Cihak
Scoped keys ? Chris Nitchie
Branch filtering ? Robert Anderson
Relax NG ? Eliot Kimber
Learning and training ? Mark Myers
DITA help ? Stan Doherty
DITA domains ? Nancy Harrison
Q&A
New Deadline: July 18 for slide deck
Kris; we now have firm dates; rehearsal 8/4; actual 8/7,
Stan; I've received slides from ChrisN, BobT, & myself.
Mark; when was deadline?
Kris; today, so pls get them to us latest by end of this week.
Stan; will RNG part be done in Eliot's absence?
Kris; we have to
Tom; we - XMetal - willl send out announcement to our mailing list, so users can let us know what features are the most important to them.
Mark; are there slide templates?
Kris; joann put them together; link is on agenda.
Tom; also, if anyone has already written announcement verbiage, I'll be happy to use it; otherwse, I'll write something up and anyonee else can use it.
Note: Joann's text assumes 2014 release; we dont know that for sure...
[other volunteers to publicize it...]

6. New item: Triage Trello board for "Spec clarifications and improvements"
https://trello.com/b/kLKDwBwn/spec-clarifications-improvements
Dick Hamilton has volunteered to help with this.

closed at 11:59

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 15 July 2014

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison