Subject: Second review of the DITA 1.3 spec: 13 - 27 October 2014

DITA 1.3 specification documents

I have uploaded the draft DITA 1.3 spec to Kavi in the following versions: CHM, XHTML, and PDF. You can get the ZIP at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/54295/review-2-draft.zip

Please be aware of the following points:
  • Draft comments are enabled.
  • The cover page and footer information has NOT been updated.
  • DITA 1.2 errata and DITA 1.3 changes are flagged in the CHM and XHMTL in brown text; the PDF has black bars in the margins
  • The PDF contains an index, but it is unlikely that we will ship one for DITA 1.3.

Objectives of the review

Here are goals for this review:
  •     Review the rework of the material in the "Indirect key-based addressing section." Is there related material in other topics that must be aligned?
  •     Review the material in the "Branch filtering" section.
  •     Review the material in the "Subject scheme maps and their usage" section. (For extra credit, think about how the subject scheme and classification material in the Language Reference should be reworked.)
  •     Consider draft comments. Can we address the points that are raised in the comments?
  •     Specific reviewers (see the assignments in https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/1.3-spec-review-#preview) to consider the items in the Trello board for "Spec clarifications and improvements," and suggest concrete ways to resolve the items.
  •     Suggest short descriptions for topics that lack them.
  •     All proposal owners who did not complete their reviews during the first review must do so now.
If you have limited time, please focus on the "Processing" section. Avoid the "Constraints" section as we know that needs in-depth work from a small team (although we will ask specific reviewers to look at this section).

And of course, keep your eyes out for places where we need to use normative terminology or make the wording about XML grammar files generic.

Review tool

We are again using Mekon's DITAweb application. (Thank you, Mekon, for hosting the application and doing development work to build the Revisions widget. We really, really, appreciate it!)

Everyone's user ID is their first initial followed by their family name, for example, keberlein. If you used DITAweb for the first review, your password is the same. If you do not have a DITAweb account, contact me and I will arrange one.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)