Subject: Re: [dita] Use of %tbl.table.name in tblDecl.mod

I do think this is one of the least useful entities in DITA 1.2 (actually I think all 3 from tblDecl.mod are of questionable value in DITA).

I'm generally opposed to removing even these three entities, just because - as silly as it would be - it's possible that somebody could have referenced them in their module. That said, they're probably the 3 I'm also willing to compromise on.

I do think that even if we keep the %tbl.table.name entity around for backwards compatibility, we should not to use it when declaring the element name. While there is a chance somebody could have found and used this entity somewhere, changing it to give rename the actual <table> element is outside the bounds of anything we need to support.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)

Inactive hide details for Eliot Kimber ---10/20/2014 10:55:37---This is one of the issues Robert brought up. I can special caseEliot Kimber ---10/20/2014 10:55:37---This is one of the issues Robert brought up. I can special case the generation of this one element,

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@contrext.com>
To: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 10/20/2014 10:55
Subject: [dita] Use of %tbl.table.name in tblDecl.mod
Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

This is one of the issues Robert brought up. I can special case the
generation of this one element, but I'm wondering if I should.

It would not be valid per the DITA spec to change the table tag name: that
would constitute a disallowed change. The only way to have a table that is
a CALS table but whose tagname is not "table" would be via specialization.

So the %tbl.table.name parameter entity can only ever have the value
"table", which makes it pointless. It also means that nobody could have
ever changed it and had a valid DITA document.

Also, historically, support for specializations of CALS tables has been
weak or non-existent.

So it seems highly unlikely that anyone has actually ever set the
%tbl.table.name to anything other than "table".

In addition, it is not possible in either RNG or XSD to directly
parameterize the name of an element type: you would have to use XML
entities in the RNG or XSD file, and nobody would ever do that (because it
wouldn't be at all reliably supported by tools).

The declaration of <table> is the only place that a parameter entity is
used for an element type name.

I recommend that we remove it's use for DITA 1.3.

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC
http://contrext.com