Subject: RE: [dita] Migrating from DITA 1.2 to DITA 1.3

I think the messaging suggested by Eliot here very much belongs (1) in the sections of the spec pertinent to each subject area and (2) in supplementary materials about DITA 1.3, but don't belong in the topic under discussion, which I'm imagining to be more of a "hints to actual migrators of content" kind of thing.

mag

-----Original Message-----
From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:dita@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Eliot Kimber
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 9:28 AM
To: Kristen James Eberlein; DITA TC

Should say something about adding key scopes, branch filtering, and taking
advantage of subject scheme hierarchies to simplify conditional processing.

That is, there are a number of important use cases that couldn't be
satisfied in DITA 1.2 and can be in 1.3, so those should be highlighted.
It's a migration task in the sense of "you couldn't think about doing this
before, now you can, so think about it."

In particular, if you've had to do convoluted things to get the effect of
key scopes or branch filtering you can stop doing those things and migrate
to a less-convoluted (hopefully) approach. For example, you might have
used long qualified keys so that you can do what you would otherwise do
with key scopes. Now you can rework those keys to be scoped.

Ditto convoluted condition values that can probably be simplified through
branch filtering and subject scheme hierarchies.

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC
http://contrext.com