Subject: Re: [dita] Review #2 comment: Links between maps

This is the "cross-deliverable addressing" proposal.

The intent of the proposal is that maps referenced with a scope of "peer"
where the referencing topicref also defines a key scope enable the
referencing of keys in the target peer map without making the target map's
entire key space part of the referencing map's key space.

In particular, it is not necessary for the processor operating on the
referencing map to be able to actually get the peer map and construct it's
key spaces: because the target map has a scope of "peer" processors
thereby know that they can defer resolution of the key reference (that is,
cross references to the key, no other form of key reference would make any
sense) to a later phase of processing *if* the target map is not available
at the time the input map is initially processed.

However, the DITA spec has always said (or implied) that one implication
of "peer" is that peer resources are typically managed together, as
distinct from "external", which is, by definition, separate from the local
resource set.

The intent of the language quoted is to clarify that "peer" means "you
don't have to process the target immediately but you might be able to
because peer usually implies availability of the peer resource".

So the challenge is how to say that in a way that makes sense and doesn't
imply or impose any particular processing implementation.

I'm not sure I ever considered the implication of processing-role of
"resource-only" for cross-deliverable linking, but I think that using a
value of resource-only would be non-sensical since the implication of
"resource-only" is that the thing is not part of your "navigation set".
The whole purpose of creating a cross-deliverable map reference is to
enable navigation to that map, so I think the value either has to be set
to "normal" or peer maps referenced via resource-only topicrefs should be
ignored or the value "resource-only" should be ignored since the only
meaningful value can be "normal".

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC