Subject: OASIS' Registered URN Notation Identifier

I'm posting this just to capture knowledge that may have been lost or not
fully appreciated.

The URN specification defines a URN as being
"urn:<NID>:<notation-specific-identifier>", where <NID> is the "notation
ID". Notation IDs should be registered with the IANA and OASIS has
registered the NID "oasis":

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3121

If I had ever known about this I had forgotten it.

I checked the URNs used in the grammars and they all follow the rules
defined in RFC3121, so there's no action required.

But I wanted to make sure all of us involved were aware of this
requirement on URNs used for OASIS artifacts. Also, the spec should cite
this RFC if it does not already since it's an OASIS-imposed rule and the
DITA spec conforms to it.

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC