Subject: Review #2 comment for TC consideration: Subject scheme

DITAweb URL:
https://ditaweb.com/oasis-dita/#/00074601-DA$00074138-DB$Subject%20scheme%20maps%20and%20their%20usage

Topic:
Subject scheme maps and their usage

    Somewhat relatedly, the spec never discusses the key space implications of referencing a subject scheme map, with all its keydefs, from another map with its more structural key definitions. I'm pretty sure that the keydefs from the subject scheme map get added to the key scope where they're included just based on the key space rules - i.e. subject schemes are not a special case vis-a-vis key definitions (which I'm not happy about but c'est la vie) - but that should probably be called out specifically.

  • [Eliot Kimber] Yes, there is nothing special about subject scheme maps with regard to how the keys they define are processed.

    I would probably make having a subject scheme map define a clear scope name standard practice. Or not, if the key names are already sufficiently distinct, which is often the case if the subject scheme reflects an existing taxonomy where the keys reflect (or are identical to) the existing taxonomy's subject IDs.

  • [Jarno Elovirta] The association description should NOT forbid associating a subject scheme map without a map reference. It should be possible to process a single topic and provide the subject scheme to the processor separately, just like you can provide a DITAVAL filter file.

  • [Kris Eberlein] Chris, the TC has not yet decided whether subject schemes are a special case or not. That's an open question for the TC to resolve. I think that there are many reasons why subject schemes need to be handled differently ...

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)