Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 25 November 2014 uploaded

Submitter's message
Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 25 November 2014
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Regrets: Dick Hamilton

Standing Business
=================
Approve minutes from previous business meetings:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00045.html (4 November, Dick Hamilton)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Don, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
none today, Lightweight DITA SC: scheduled for 2 Dec.

Announcements
none

Business
========
1. Action items
Action items from 4 November 2014:
L & T subcommittee: Make changes as needed to the L & T section of the archSpec. Due by end of 2014.
[no updates]

2. 2nd spec review progress: 13 October - 1 November 2014
REVIEW CLOSED 1 November 2014
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/1.3-spec-review-#preview
Wiki page contains:
Download link for official review draft
Review objectives
Tracking tables for review assignments
Information about prizes (yet to be determined)
Update from Kris and Robert (None; both busy since 4 Nov meeting)
[no updates]

3. New item: Report from TCWorld/DITA Europe/DITA-OT Day (Anderson, Eberlein, Hackos, Kimber, Priestley)
Michael; Wrt TCworld; there were ~3000 people, like the STC summit here in US, but bigger. There was a DITA track; there's getting to be just as much DITA in Europe as in US. I talked to a number of vendors; in Germany, there are 3 vendors, all have XML solutions from pre-DITA days; they were reluctant to move to DITA, but they seem to have reached tipping point on that; now 2 are interested in joining TC, one has already deployed and wants to move their customers to DITA.
Kris;
1. I tried to go to all the English language DITA track sessions, but spent lots of time talking to vendors about joining the TC; have Jan Benedictus from FontoXML and Aaron Rothschild (finkenwerk.de) as new OASIS members. One of the best-attended sessions was '5 reasons not to do DITA' Michael's ('Does DITA need XML') and Eliot's ('What's New in DITA?') sessions were both full; did 90-minute workshop on how to do DITA doc shells
2. Talked to vendors: Fischercomputertechnik (FCT)(already has an implementation), Docufy, Schema (doesn't have current DITA support, but CEO very interested in Liditalite. Michael had a long discussion with him.)
3. wrt '5 reasons not to do DITA'; George Bina's comment; "there are many reasons to not do DITA, but these are none of them."
Eliot; I was struck by the need to advertise DITA's configurability, wrt the 'too many tags' argument.
Kris; people are going from a bad experience with a large proprietary DTD and assuming that translates to DITA and the total number of tags in all its specializations.
Eliot; I was impressed with Adobe support for 1.2 and 1.3; with RNG, it would be easy to generate custom EDDs for Frame, FM is the tool people really want to use; would be good to work with Adobe.
DITA Europe/DITA Day
Marcus Fischer Fischer ComputerTechnic
Michael; presented on DITA and marketing content, but got lots of inquiries on markdown, probably should have done a 'DITA-lite' presentation as well.
Keith; people were really hungry for info on 1.3; 'what's coming down the pike for 1.3?'
Robert; I presented on 1.3; then, at closing session, someone said 'I didn't hear anything about 1.3' (?). At my 1.3 talk, got very few questions, maybe because I did it at a very high level...
Michael; maybe because Robert's title didn't have '1.3' in it...
Kris; this raises possibility whether we should reprise the 1.3 webinar earlier in the day for Europe.
Robert; or point to the online webinar recording and have people watch it first, then have a session where they can ask questions.
Kris; DITA Europe had its best attendance (130+) in a long time. Having it right near TCWorld definitely helped. And DITA Day had 91 people; another 60 dropped in and out on web.
Don; were there any unusual items that would be relevant to Adoption TC as well as DITA TC?
Kris; not particularly, but I need to do some follow-up wrt urging people to join OASIS.
Michael; a lot of vendors and people at Tekom are in the machine industry.
Robert; I heard some criticism of current MI specializations.
Michael; otoh, other folks referenced MI spec as reason to adopt DITA, so...

4. New item: RFP for dita.xml.org site
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00068.html (Eberlein, 23 November 2014)
Kris; I sent the RFP out Nov 23rd; posted it to dita-users, and forwarded it to 5 main DITA-friendly rendering engine vendors. I also got email from Ixiasoft, asking if we're looking for CMS as well as a rendering env.
Keith; that came after I pinged them.
Kris; one immediate response came from someone distressed that we're not going to keep using open source tech.
Michael; we need to avoid trashing Drupal; this issues isn't about opensource vs big companies; most of the possible vendors are small comanies.
Kris; People don't appreciate that TC work is volunteer, not paid work; I've have had people ping me on timeline/due date.

5. New item: DITA 1.3 deadline
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00072.html (Eberlein, 25 November 2014)
Kris; have to clarify what we need to do to get 1.3 out in 2015. This will involve considerable work in the next few months, including discussion items and specification edits.

6. New item: Thoughts on yesterday's meeting
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201410/msg00200.html (Day, 29 October 2014)
Don gave overview of his mail, summarizing TC's consensus principle and 80/20 rule. We need to use the 80/20 rule for dealing with issues, otherwise we'll miss our 2015 deadline and slip into 2016.
Kris; we really wanted to get it out in 2014, but it became clear that it wasn't possible; still, we can't go to 2016 and retain credibility.
Robert; ditto, I thought a 2014 release was a huge stretch from the beginning, but desirable. Now, people are really interested in 1.3, so we need to get it out.
Don; to do so, we may need to make some uncomfortable decisions on how much time to spend on complex issues.
Kris; Robert and I will try to get thru rest of review asap, so we can get back to TC on what are the hard parts, and set up small targeted reviews, e.g. on key processing, or constraints sections. Depending on how much we can get thru, we may have an idea for an ETA by next week; if not then, then definitely by 12/9.

7. Review #2 comments:
- New item: Review comment for TC discussion: navref
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00053.html (Anderson, 5 November 2014)
Robert; the spec doesn't list @keyref for 'navref' element, but the DTDs have always had it. How do we document it? Is it legal? if so, does it come with special processing? OR do we say it's there but deprecated? Eliot said he didn't really care, as far as he's concerned, we could simply say 'don't use it.'
Eliot; I agree with Robert.
Robert; I don't like to suddenly add an @ that also requires special processing; I think we should document it as available, but undefined and 'don't use it'
Kris; hearing no abjection, we'll go with that
- Continued item: Links between maps
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00036.html (Eberlein, 4 November 2014)
[continued to next week]

8. New item: DTD and XSD Generation Testing Assistance
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00061.html (Kimber, 6 November 2014)
[no updates]

9. New item: Article for "DITA elements in strange places" action
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00039.html (Day, 4 November 2014
[no updates]

10. New item: Where to Put RELAX NG Code and Generated Artifacts?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00069.html (Kimber, 25 November 2014)
Remember previous discussion on 12 August 2014; the TC's consensus was that the RNG-to-DTD-or-XSD generator was an auxiliary tool and not maintained by the TC or OASIS.
Eliot; We need to store this code somewhere, I thought to create a github organization called dita-standard, and put it there
Kris; I think a github repository is the best place.
Keith; I have some qualms with using the string 'standard' as part of the name
[others concurred with this qualm, and Eliot was willing to use a different name...]
Robert; how about eliots-cool-dita-tools?
Kris; looking at your note, Eliot, I think we need to separate 'mirroring OASIS artifacts' and your tools. Alternative may not even be legal; I haven't even spoken with Chet ensign wrt SIDSC code that way.
[continued to next week]

[didn't get to remaining agenda items]

closed at 12:00 EDT

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 25 November 2014

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison