Subject: Re: [dita] Cross-Deliverable Links and Key Resolution

That's not quite what I'm saying, and I feel pretty strongly that we
shouldn't special-case peer map scope precedence. What I'm trying to get
at is this:

Given

<mapref keyscope="otherPub" scope="peer" href="pub.ditamap"/>

And

<xref keyref="otherPub.someKey"/>

Here is how I would want my processor to behave:

* If pub.ditamap *can* be loaded, and the map does not contain a
definition for 'someKey', processors should issue a WARNING or an ERROR
stating that no definition for the referenced key could be found.
* If pub.ditamap can be loaded and it contains a definition for someKey,
huzzah, move on.
* If pub.ditamap cannot be loaded, and no other definition for
otherPub.someKey is found, processors should issue a MESSAGE or *maybe* a
WARNING (*NOT* an ERROR) stating that the key could not be resolved, but
may be defined in the peer map. (This, I think, is where we differ.)
* If pub.ditamap cannot be loaded but the local map contains a definition
for otherPub.someKey, huzzah, move on.

Chris

Chris Nitchie
(734) 330-2978