Subject: RE: [dita] Cross-Deliverable Links and Key Resolution

Greetings,

I am still a little uncomfortable with some of the statements expressed below, but I came up with a couple statements that may / may not be correct to at least help me get closer to comfort.

Peer maps with no keyscope (all maps defined with DITA 1.2 and prior). In this case "any" key not defined somewhere else "may" be defined in the peer map. So any message I think would be the same as before DITA 1.3, no need to say it "could" be in a peer map. (One thing is that if there is fallback markup in a key reference, then no message would be output in any case). I don't know if it would be good to note in a composition that "peer" maps were found in this case. If we were to keep to our definition from DITA 1.2 then we would not report this,  from the DITA 1.2 definition of peer in scope.

Peer maps with keyscopes (DITA 1.3) may need to have new behavior in that they need to be accessible (in some way, either in fact, or by proxy) for key space processing. Since this is "new" to DITA 1.3 I think that might be acceptable as a "should". If there is a keyscope then at least we could possibly be able to know if a message be issued if a keyref could not be resolved (because it would have a scope identifier). However, if a key is resolved by some other reference found in a map or submap with a scope-identifier but "might" have been defined in a peer, I don't think a message should be output. I see a lot of noise that could be generated.

Peer maps that have submaps that are local/peer also need to be processed, so this rule keeps going right? Peer maps may now have their own whole processing tree, with keys, more keyscopes, etc. Again, only if a keyscope is set on a peer map would we want to provide messages, etc. about any potential keyref not found. One thing that could happen is that the "peer" map could define a keyscope for the local map we are processing since they are peers of each other. That peer map would want to have references to our "local" map, probably with some sort of keyscope. I see possible circular references happening with this, but perhaps can be sorted out.

And, we are defining this for peer map processing of key spaces only, correct. Peer still means we don't normally process the peer map during normal processing of topics, correct? Or is that "scope" also expanded? It seems that if peer maps include key references to items in the peer map, then a new category of messages might now be "you do not have a topic defined in local map, but in a peer map". That may be OK also, but there are certainly some processing implications when you open this up.

These may be non-issues as this is still swirling in my mind, but thought I should put them down.

Thanks!

-Dave H.

Dave Helfinstine
dhelfinstine@ptc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:dita@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Eliot Kimber
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 5:36 PM
To: Chris Nitchie; dita@lists.oasis-open.org

In thinking this through I've come to the conclusion that Chris' position is the correct one: there needs to always be a peer map that defines the keys defined in that map (or more abstractly, access to the peer map's root key space). If this is the case then normal key processing rules apply at all times and there's no need to have any special rules about key name matching.

I think the best way to express this in the specification is in terms of key space construction:

If the peer map's root key space is not available:
<ul>
</note>
<note>When peer maps are referenced from the local map such that keys defined in the peer map could override keys with the same scope qualification defined in the local map, processors must have access to the peer map's root key space in order to accurately construct the local key spaces.
A locally-defined key can be overridden by a peer map if the locally-defined key is defined in a submap with a lower key definition precedence than the peer map. For example, in this map:
<codeblock><![CDATA[
<map>
  <mapref scope="peer"
    keyscope="book-02"
    href="../book-02/book-02.ditamap"
  />
  <mapref scope="local"
    keyscope="book-02"
    href="book-02-overrides.ditamap"
  />
</map>
]]>
</codeblock>
<codeblock><![CDATA[
<map>
<mapref scope="local"
  keyscope="book-02"
  href="book-02-overrides.ditamap"
/>
<mapref scope="peer"
  keyscope="book-02"
  href="../book-02/book-02.ditamap"
  />
</map>
]]>
</codeblock>
Then the local map <filepath>book-02-overrides.ditamap</filepath> has a higher key definition precedence and therefore any keys defined in that map would override the same keys defined in the peer map. In that case the peer map key space is not needed in order to determine the effective key definitions in the local map's key spaces.
</note>

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC