Subject: Re: [dita] Question cropping up as a result of constraints review

To follow up: based on the discussion on the list, I think we arrived at
the following understanding and intent:

1. The language of the 1.2 spec is indeed ambiguous as regards the number
of element types allowed in a single constraint module.

2. The 1.2 spec allows multiple constraint modules per vocabulary module.
Which means that it is practically possible to have multiple constraints
with one element type per constraint module for a single vocabulary module
if you want. (Bob Thomas helped me understand that I had misinterpreted
the requirement for one vocabulary module per constraint as implying the
inverse, namely one constraint per module, but that is not what the 1.2
spec says and other language clearly implies that you can have multiple
constraint modules per vocabulary module. There is another clause that
says you can only have one constraint module that restricts the set of
domain elements to be included from a given domain, but that's a very
specific case and does not apply more generally.)

3. The 1.3 spec should allow a single structural constraint module to
constrain multiple element types within the structural type (topic or map
type). This is a relaxation of the strict reading of the 1.2 spec but
cannot break any existing constraint implementations and makes existing
constraint modules that do have multiple element types explicitly
conforming.

4. The current module naming rules will need to be clarified or relaxed to
allow more flexibility in naming files so that multi-element-type
structural constraint modules are clearly allowed and provided for. My
suggestion would be to use the name of the structural type as the "element
type name", e.g. "topic", "concept", "bookmap" when the constraint
constrains multiple element types within the structural type. The intent
of the naming convention is to make the relationship between the
constraint module and the corresponding vocabulary module clear.

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC
http://contrext.com