Subject: Re: [dita] Evaluation of the subject scheme review

Re your comment "It is in the processing of a subject scheme as a set of enumerated values used to match to attribute values that the interpretations of the keys might be different.

I think key processing is different not just in the case of "enumerated values used to match to attribute values," but also in scenarios where one uses the <schemeref> element to extend the controlled values or taxonomic subjects defined in a subject scheme map.

We clearly state in both the 1.2 and draft 1.3 specs that "The <schemeref> element provides a reference to another scheme. Typically, the referenced scheme defines a base set of controlled values that are extended by the current scheme. The values in the referenced scheme are merged with the current scheme; the result is equivalent to specifying all of the values in a single subject scheme map."

I agree with Chris Nitchie's comment in DITAweb: ""That's not how keyref normally works. We definitely need normative language describing the expected processing of keyref in the context of a subject scheme. It's completely different from normal keyref behavior. Normally, a keyref is a reference to the content referenced by the key-defining topicref, not a reference to the topicref itself. And there's no transclusion or extension, as is implied here. So it's completely different processing rules for keys in a subject scheme, and it needs normative description."

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)