Subject: Re: [dita] Definition of "root map"

There are three different cases:

1. A root map that references other maps as peers. In this case, each map
retains its root map nature each root produces its own root key space.

2. Multiple root maps processed as a unit from which as *single* root
keyspace is constructed. This is the case that is not allowed by the spec.

3. A single root map that includes *as local submaps* other maps and
produces a single root key space.

In the third case the submap titles are ignored (that is, the effective
map does not reflect the titles of any of the submaps). That is almost
certainly not what an author would expect or want.

If you consider case 3 to be a problem it is an unavoidable side effect of
the rules for how submaps are combined into an effective submap, namely
that their titles are not preserved (have no effect in the output).

The effect of this rule is that synthesizing a new root map over a set of
what were root maps changes the behavior of DITA processors that act on
the synthesized root map.

The introduction of a meaning for peer map references allows you to have a
single root map that includes, as peers, other root maps. This collects
everything together for the purposes of establishing the dependencies
without changing the root map nature of the submaps or altering the key
spaces you would get from the maps processed independently.

That is this:

<map>
  <mapref scope="peer" href="root01.ditamap"/>
  <mapref scope="peer" href="root02.ditamap"/>
</map>

is fundamentally different from this:

<map>
  <mapref scope="local" href="root01.ditamap"/>
  <mapref scope="local" href="root02.ditamap"/>
</map>

In the first case there are three root key spaces:

1. For the root map
2. For peer map root01.ditamap
3. For peer map root02.ditamap

In second case there is only one root key space.

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC
http://contrext.com