Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - Sample PDF uploaded

Hi Dick,

Back when I started working on the redesign for content models, I brought up the idea of not shipping the content models in PDF. That idea was rather forcefully shut down - it seems quite a few people find it both critical, even in the PDF.

I do think it would be nice to remove page numbers from links inside the tables, but I'm less sure about the brackets. Personally, I like that the presentation is consistent with the rest of the spec. I'm guessing Bob could rig up something that identifies it is in a content model table and drops the page number, but I don't want to make promises on his behalf.

Back in DITA 1.2 we used "contains" and "contained by" as two distinct sections and distinct tables. That has been simplified a bit with 1.3 to one set of models per element. I don't remember any specific thoughts about the terminology "containment model", but it may have come about because "content model" implies just the one direction -- it usually means a list of what the element contains, but not a list of what contains it.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://www.dita-ot.org/)

Inactive hide details for Richard Hamilton ---06/04/2015 14:33:34---Here are a few thoughts on the Content Model Appendix: SincRichard Hamilton ---06/04/2015 14:33:34---Here are a few thoughts on the Content Model Appendix: Since the schemas themselves are part of the

From: Richard Hamilton <hamilton@xmlpress.net>
To: Kristen Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
Cc: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 06/04/2015 14:33
Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Here are a few thoughts on the Content Model Appendix:

Since the schemas themselves are part of the standard, is it necessary to include this appendix in the specification at all?

It's useful information, but couldn't it be a non-normative, HTML-only, appendix? That would let you remove the page numbers, which would make the content models more readable. I would also suggest removing the brackets on the element names in this section, since they're not needed to avoid ambiguity in this context.

If you decide to keep this appendix in the PDF version of the spec, I would still remove the page number references (the whole section is in alphabetical order) and also remove the brackets. However, I would keep the page number references in the text at the top of each block (the text that reads: "Content models for <element name> on page XXX"). It would be nice, but not essential, to have a header on each page with the element names (like dictionaries have) so it would be easier to locate a particular element in the appendix.

Regarding the same appendix, why do you use the term "containment model"? I don't see a distinction between containment model and content model in this context. And I see no reference to containment model anywhere else in the spec (just a couple of passing references to "containment hierarchy").

Best regards,
Dick
-------
XML Press