Subject: Stages of the OASIS process are confusing to many

As a result of Chet's announcement yesterday that the DITA 1.3 Committee Specification was approved and uploaded, I got pinged by several DITA members who asked "Is DITA 1.3 now approved and finished?"

I think the stages of the OASIS process are fairly arcane, and maybe we need to do a better job of communicating to the larger DITA community just where DITA 1.3 is in the process. A couple things come to mind:
  • We could use a graphic similar to the thermometer that many organizations use to track where they are in a fundraising campaign. (Preferably something less cheesy than a thermometer.)
  • We could create a post on dita.xml.org that tracks our progress and uses the graphic.
  • We could start a series of e-mails that use the new graphic. For example, we could start communicating with the OASIS organizational voting members for companies represented on the TC, as well as non-DITA TC member companies that voted "Yes" on DITA 1.2.

Thoughts?

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)