Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 8 September 2015 uploaded

Hi DITA TC members,

Couple of quick things from your minutes...

You noted "Chet just posted, what stage of the process we're at.. Chet just posted on linkedin, that DITA 1.3 has been approved and now people can use it. But we know that it hasn't passed all the hurdles to be an actual standard yet. I'm going to respond with an explanation that includes this graphic."

I will follow up with you later on confusion around the process and where the document stands in the progress towards OS. That is an important topic. I do want to explain what I meant here however.

Now that DITA 1.3 has been approved as a Committee Standard, it carries all the IPR commitments and obligations and such as an OASIS Standard. A CS is defined as an OASIS Final Deliverable and thus is covered by the OASIS IPR Policy. Effectively the only 'hurdle' it hasn't passed is the vote by the OASIS membership. But anyone who wants to implement it can do so secure in the knowledge that, from the implementers point of view, nothing more will change and all the obligations and commitments under the TC's IPR mode now apply.

There are some CSs - some that are being adopted by other groups - that have remained OASIS Committee Specifications and the TCs seem in no hurry to move them forward. CS is good enough.

Also, on the TAB comments, the TAB appreciates the magnitude of the task the TC has had bringing 1.3 into alignment with the latest OASIS requirements. Members of the TAB would be happy to consult with the TC during the next round of updates to DITA to help with conformance clauses and other issues that came up during your review. Feel free to reach out any time.

That's all - just wanted to share those thoughts with you.

Best,

/chet