Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 22 September 2015 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Kris will ask Patrick Durusau what he means by 'hanging paragraphs' in TAB-1282
2. Kris will contact Jane with questions about Pre-OS vote orientation webinar opportunity

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 22 September 2015
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Regrets:

Standing Business
=================
x (Harrison, 15 August 2015)
[on hold due to late response from Kris]

Subcommittee Reports
none

Announcements
None

Business
========
1. Action items
15 September
- Everyone: provide feedback to Adoption TC about SWOT 'weaknesses'
[feedback received]
- Bob: email to DITA TC and DITE Adoption TC about new review processes for whitepapers
[completed]
- Stan: assess how lists are ordered in the Language Reference
[continued]

2. Calendar for critical dates to enable DITA 1.3 to be released in 2015
- Ballot was opened on September 15, will close on November 15

3. Discussion re TAB comments on CSPRD 01
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201508/msg00074.html (Eberlein, 8 August 2015)
- Hyperlinks for all element and attribute mentions: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/TAB-1276
- Alphabetize lists: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/TAB-1273 - - "Hanging paragraphs": https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/TAB-1282

TAB asked for TC to correct "hanging paragraphs" in spec. But it's not clear what the TAB meant by a 'hanging paragraph', because the more common definition ("A paragraph in which the first line is set to the left margin, but all subsequent lines are indented.") doesn't apply. Kris and Robert think he doesn't like our link previews, but we fought very hard to get those accepted in 1.2, so we won't be changing them. Robert wondered if Patrick thought there was a legal issue; i.e. if I declare that my implementation conforms to section 2.2, is that to 2.2 only, or to 2.2 and all its subsections?
ActionItem: Kris will ask Patrick Durusau what he means.

4. Continuing item: DITA TC Committee Note: "Why are there three editions of DITA 1.3?"
Update on progress?
Kris; I've drafted some stuff; there will be a meeting on friday, including all the volunteers for this effort; we'll ask TC at large for comments on expansion of DITA beyond TechComm. Are there any other usages for the base edition besides the ones we've come up with?
[people added publishing and marketing]

5. New item: Pre-OS vote orientation webinar opportunity
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201509/msg00084.html (Jane Harnad, 18 September 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201509/msg00085.html (Eberlein, 20 September 2015)
Kris asked the TC if they thought we should do this or not; webinars are a lot of work.
Nancy; what about a really short 15-min webinar?
Tom; what if we do it early, record it, and let people tune in at their leisure?
Kris; so it might work if it's: early, short, succinct, accessible.
Tom; Jane's mail implies we'd be doing them a favor by trying this out.
Kris; yes, since she hasn't replied to my question about 'who's done it and what were the results?'
Robert; I thought Chet had said some others had tried it.
Nancy; it might be that the right content is the stuff we're putting in the "why 3 editions" paper
Michael; it's a great evangelizing opportunity.
Kris; that's a pretty compelling argument. What about it being short and sweet?
Robert; we should try to get feedback on what folks will expect; if they expect somethig longer.
Kris; I'll ask for volunteers who would be interested in working on this. First, I'll take this up with Jane and see what we can find out.
ActionItem: Kris will contact Jane with questions

6. Continuing item: Campaigning for the DITA 1.3 vote (Tom)
Ballot info for DITA 1.2: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/ballot.php?id=1968
Spreadsheet of OASIS voting members who will vote to approve DITA 1.3: http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/dita/administration/voting-OASIS-members-August-2015.xlsx
The spreadsheet includes e-mail addresses, whether a company uses DITA, whether the company is a TC member, and whether the company voted Yes on DITA 1.2
Kris; any progress? (Tom's currently on vacation)
Tom; I did a review of it a few weeks back. I'll start looking at that next Mon/Tues.
[continued next week]

7. Continuing item: dita.xml.org
Continue discussion from 21 and 28 July 2015
Information about activity on ALL OASIS focus areas
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00119.html (Eberlein, 24 July 2015)
More history about dita.xml.org
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00120.html (Eberlein, 24 July 2015)
Excerpts from DITA TC minutes re dita.xml.org, 2014-2015
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00148.html (Eberlein, 28 July 2015)
Excerpts from DITA TC minutes re dita.xml.org, 2014-2015
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00148.html (Eberlein, 28 July 2015)
Kris; Adoption TC is considering re-chartering a SC about this; does anyone have thoughts about how this needs to support DITA TC?
Kris; dita.xml.org and dita-users are the easiest ways to push info out to the DITA community, as a less fromal way than an actual spec.
Michael; for Lightweight DITA SC, our goal is to have a core spec that's very simple, and have add'l non-spec material that describes how the core can be adapted and specialized to particular industry situations. We expect supplementary materials would make sense to publish on dita.xml.org. I've been holding off on doing stuff on it, because we know it's going away as it is now, but there's a lot of material ready for the new version once it's up.
Kris; so it will be a way to share DITA info with folks who aren't in OASIS, without the overhead that working within OASIS requires.
Don; we're listening and anxious to hear what we can do
[continued]

11:34 ET Close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 22 September 2015

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison