Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 6 October 2015 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. All TC members: read PDF version and comment on 3 editions paper in DITAWeb, once it's up on DITAWeb.
2. All TC members: look through OASIS voting spreadsheet and categorize anyone you can.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 6 October 2015
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Regrets: Scott Hudson, Robert Anderson

Standing Business
=================
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201509/msg00113.html (Nancy Harrison, for 29 September)
Moved by Nancy, seconded by Dick, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
none

Announcements
None

Business
========
1. Action items
15 September 2015:
Stan: Assess how lists are ordered in the Language Reference
29 September 2015:
Kris: Draft initial outline for pre-vote Webinar slides, send to small group (Nancy, Tom, Don, Michael)--COMPLETED

2. Report from Information Development World conference
Kris, Don, Tom, Keith, Dick, and Amber were present
Dick; lots of interest in structuring content, not so much on DITA details
Don; seems to be declining attendance at DITA sessions at this conference; how can we help participants of [non-CIDM] conferences to increase interest in DITA offerings? Scott Abel is willing to work with us on this.
Keith; in the DITA track, the single most attended session was "how do we choose tools"; besides that, most other DITA sessions were aimed at someone already using DITA - much less interest in those.
Don; some interest in talking about team dynamics rather than actual DITA.
Keith; and a lot more interest on managing content effectively.
Kris; I think there were too many tracks for that number of attendees.
Tom; but there were almost 400 people there, so other tracks must have gotten a lot of people. I really wish there had been more intro DITA stuff.
Amber; seems like it's time to bring session material from 5 years ago at DITA/NA conferences to these conferences now.
Don; this one seemed mostly marketing oriented; it would be good to have things that tied DITA into marketing.
Kris; I didn't get that sense, that it was mostly marketing.
Tom; actually, the keynote (which was marketing) didn't go with the rest of the conference.
Dick; I think it was good crowd, but not one that was interested in technical stuff; at my XML Press table, DITA books didn't sell. So, it wasn't a mktg crowd, but also not a technical crowd.
Joann; we're about to open the call for proposals for DITA/NA 2016; keynote speaker will be David Weinberger.
Keith; I was at Rahel Baillie ?? ?? content strategy workshop (attendance; about 2 dozen). The questions on DITA were fairly basic DITA stuff.
Kris; but vendors were DITA-knowledgable and generally selling DITA tools or services.

3. Calendar for critical dates to enable DITA 1.3 to be released in 2015
Schedule: July - December 2015
Kris; we going along on schedule.

4. Comments on the 60-day review
Wiki page
Kris; no comments since 23 September 2015

5. New item: DITA Adoption white paper process
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201509/msg00107.html (Bob Thomas, 29 September 2015)
Bob reviewed decisions from last week's Adoption TC mtg re: process for white papers. DITA TC will now be involved at a number of points, in order to get the best set of reviewers, and make sure the paper gets reviewed by them.
Kris; awesome. any questions?
[lots of TC support for this new process]

6. Continuing item: DITA TC Committee Note: "Why are there three editions of DITA 1.3?"
Update on progress
PDF ready for review:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/56638/dita-why-three-editions.pdf
DITAweb review coming later today
Amber; we met yesterday and both john and i took pass at l&t content, reviewed key terms,
Kris; now ready for this to be reviewed by TC members. PDF is ready, DITAWeb will be available later today. review will be 2 weeks, make edits then bring it to TC for approval.
Tom; did you see the graphic I uploaded last night? Should we include it in the review version?
kris; saw it after I uploaded the draft PDF; can you send email to TC list with link to those graphics in SVN?
Tom; does everyone have SVN?
Kris; not everyone has an SVN client, but all TC members can get to a link to SVN. And when we get to DITAWeb review, make a comment in DITAWeb with a link to the graphics.

7. New item: HTML transformation for committee note
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201510/msg00013.html (Eberlein, 5 October 2015)
Kris; while we have a DITA-OT 2.1 plugin to generate PDF, we don't have one for an HTML version that matches the required formatting. We should be able to start with our 1.8.5 HTML plugin. Bob, could you do this (unless someone wants to...)?
Bob; I'll do it, if no one else wants to...
Kris; OK. Also, for this committee note, should we we chunk the output or do a single page?
Eliot; i'd expect a single page for a 'note'
[general agreement; TC will do a single HTML page output for committee note]

8. Continuing item: Campaigning for the DITA 1.3 vote: (Tom Magliery)
Ballot info for DITA 1.2: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/ballot.php?id=1968
Spreadsheet of OASIS voting members who will vote to approve DITA 1.3: http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/dita/administration/voting-OASIS-members-August-2015.xlsx
The spreadsheet includes e-mail addresses, whether a company uses DITA, whether the company is a TC member, and whether the company voted Yes on DITA 1.2
NEW: Devising a plan to get out the vote
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201510/msg00024.html (Tom Magliery, 6 October 2015)
Tom; I sent mail to the TC today with a draft plan for campaign [email above]. We'll need:
volunteer for someone to draft the letter.
guidelines for volunteers to follow; advice from 1.2 veterans?
Kris; we'll need to do an initial note to voters, then another one later on. Also, in 1.2, 4-6 weeks leading up to vote, we tracked whether someone had talked to voters and what the response was
Tom; I don't have anything about when volunteers will be making first contact, then 2nd contact when vote opens; have to add that.
Kris; we need to track how many organizational votes there are, and what is our minimum required number.
Tom; good metric; I'll note it on my plan.
Kris; comments?
Joann; for 1.2, a lot of times I didn't know the actual voting rep, but I knew someone else from the organization, so I had them forward mail to the actual person, and that seemed to work.
Kris; I used LinkedIn for some of my contacts; wasn't as good as directly mailing them, but got a couple of votes.
Don; in our discussion about upcoming webinar, its recording location can be linked to in the contact.
Kris; not for the 1st contact, but afterwards, yes, we can. If we do the webinar on time, Chet will link to it when he sends out the voting announcement.
Kris; any other advice from 1.2? anyone want to look at the minutes from that period to get hints?
[no...]

Ending note: Action items for entire TC:
1. read PDF version and comment on 3 editions paper in DITAWeb, once it's up on DITAWeb.
2. look through OASIS voting spreadsheet and categorize anyone you can.

11:40 ET Close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 6 October 2015

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison