Subject: Tip for e-mailing OASIS organization members and lobbying for DITA 1.3

I've just sent off eight e-mails to various organizational members, and wanted to share some of the strategies that I used.
  • If you've met the person or know something about them -- Bring it up!
  • If the company voted for DITA 1.2 --Thank them!
  • Mention the involvement of other people at the company and cc the other people
  • If the person is on the OASIS Board of Directors or active with another TC -- Thank them for their service and hard work
  • Mention some other connection, such as geographic location or shared interests or whatever.

How can you get the background information to do this?

  • The Excel spreadsheet that Tom will walk us through during our weekly calls lists whether the company is on the TC, uses DITA, or whether it voted for DITA 1.2.
  • During our calls, we need to share information about whom we know at various companies, especially if our contacts use DITA.
  • You can search on the OASIS Web site using the name of the OASIS organizational member and get lots of information. For example, searching on "Scott Hudson" lets you quickly know that he is involved with the DITA, Docbook, and Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TCs. Go to https://www.oasis-open.org/search .
  • You can go to the roster for the OASIS organizational voters: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/members/roster.php
    Click on a person's name, and you go to a page where you can find out when the person became the organizational voter, their contact info, and whether they have attended any OASIS meetings, uploaded documents, opened action items, etc.
  • You can search on LinkedIn and see if any of your contacts knows a person.

I've already received an e-mail back from one company saying that they are eager to approve DITA 1.3!

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)