Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 5 January 2016 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Kris will post links to this to the proposal template for creating a project in the OASIS Github repository.
2. all TC members will review https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita-adoption/SignUp and think hard about a) items with 'TBD' writer, b) other possible topics, c) use cases illustrating a 1.3 or 1.2 feature, d) possibly providing support for completion of any article that seems to be not making progress.
3. Kris will add Github project setup to list of TC 2016 agenda items

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 5 January 2016
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Regrets:

Standing Business
=================
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00008.html (Nancy Harrison, for 15 December 2015)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Tom, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
none

Announcements
None

Business
========
1. Action items
Everyone continue contacting their assigned OASIS voters [completed]
[nothing to cover on this]

2. Reflections on the lobbying and the DITA 1.3 vote:
What we did?
What worked well?
What could we do better?
overview; total was 84 votes (highest OASIS total since 2006); we might have gotten more if it wsn't December.
Don; so one goal for future specs might be to bring them to vote not in December...
Eliot; Tom did a great job of managing us, and we all did a good job of contacting them.
Kris; kudos to Tom [general agreement by TC]
Tom; the only way we could improve would be to contact people in more personal ways, as Kris did
Kris; I was very pushy. Also, I think we could focus on following 2 things;
- we need to have people focusing on making last days of voting really productive.
- we need to focus more on alternate and other primary voters; for companies with more than one voter, if the primary voter doesn't vote, than any votes made by alternate voters counts as though made by a primary. (question; where more than one alternate rep votes, is it the last vote, or the first vote, that counts?) So if a vote isn't coming by the second contact, should contact all voteres, not just primary.

3. Updates on other TC items
Why three editions committee note
Official OASIS posting of DITA 1.3 specification
Kris; I heard back from Chet, asking for some changes to files for '3 editions' note; will try to make fixes today. Bob already made some fixes to 1.3 spec yesterday.

4. DITA TC and open source GitHub projects
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00010.html (Eberlein, 5 January 2016)
Kris; we can start Open source projects that are affiliated with DITA TC but not controlled/owned by it. need to think carefully about what projects we might want to start. mail above has requirements for what we need to start a project (see mail) Michael really wants to do one for LD. Eliot, what about your tool for generating DTDs and XSDs from RNG?
Eliot; yes, I always wanted
Tom; are we under pressure from OASIS to start these sooner rather than later.
Kris; would be good to get something up and running within next couple of months, something that can be a good poster child for OASIS. need to have clear understanding of project
Chris; any guidance from OASIS on how to set them up
Kris; we just need to pass a motion and have requirements from mail set in place.
Kris; since this is brand-new, there's not a lot of guidance from OASIS.
Tom; may be hopibng to derive guidlines from our work.
Kris; since projects won't be owned by OASIS, they can't really make rules about them.
Kris; OASIS wants to build closer connections with open source projects.
Tom; how will a contributer to one of these projects know that they're working on an OASIS-connected project? just the name/description?
Kris; probably a physical OASIS repository, and some reference in the description
crish; is an ability to create an organization, and then a project under that org.
Tom; would have impact on how we have to name the project, or make sure we put particular language in our description.
Chris; we could set up an oasis org for them and then transfer it to them. if I were OASIS, that's how I'd set it up.
Kris; we are their guinea pigs, so I don't know if they have anything in place at all; certainoly not with any
Eliot; there's already been an OASIS org created under github, with a link to an OASIS page to talk about it.
put links in minutes!!!
Eliot; I'd be happy to prepare proposal for RNG-to-XSD/DTD generation code for this
AI- Eliot will do that
Chris; in order to create new projects, someone - probably Kris or ?? - needs to be added to the organization
Eliot; probably
Kris; now have a specific TC admin request for opening a repository, proposal template document, etc available. proposal template goes into more detail about project requirements from mail
Kris; any more thoughts or comments?
[no]
ActionItem: Kris will post links to this to the proposal template for creating a project in the OASIS Github repository.

5. Adoption TC white papers
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201512/msg00113.html (Thomas, 21 December 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201512/msg00114.html (Eberlein, 22 December 2015)
a. 'shortdesc' article:
Bob; I sent out mail Dec 21,wanted to make sure 'shortdesc' article didn't fall thru the cracks; it's not ready to publish, but we're meeting with folks tomorrow to go over concerns about the paper.
Kris; anyone have questions/concerns?
b. future articles:
Articles in the works: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita-adoption/SignUp
Keith; mail notes what articles are necessary, including all that are already done, and those that someone signed up for (but may not have completed).
Nancy; put ihn AI for all TC members to think about items on list, or other topics, or use cases, and think about what they might be willing to do.
Joann; point is to get people to adopt DITA; so the more guidance we can give, the better
ActionItem: all TC members will review https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita-adoption/SignUp and think hard about a) items with 'TBD' writer, b) other possible topics, c) use cases illustrating a 1.3 or 1.2 feature, d) possibly providing support for completion of any article that seems to be not making progress.

6. (Tentative) DITA TC agenda for 2016:
Reflections on DITA 1.3
Continued work on TAB comments
Focus on conformance statement and new OASIS guidelines
Lightweight DITA
dita.xml.org
DITA 2.0 planning
DITA 1.3 errata planning
Kris; does anyone have additions to the list?
Tom; what about setting up Github projects?
Kris; I'll add that to list
ActionItem; Kris will add Github project setup to list of TC 2016 agenda items

------------
Other:
Don; what about 2016 meeting schedule?
Kris; I''m setting that up.

meeting closed 11:36 ET

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 5 January 2016

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison