Subject: Re: [dita] Key scopes and topicsetref

I think we should use these opportunities as they present themselves to identify markup that adds clutter to what might be otherwise adequate semantics for the base spec. Perhaps some parts can be deprecated, and others more clearly identified as corollary to the core function by way of helping implementers use the core function as much as possible. Robert has clarified for me before on his points about default fallback behavior--easy to overlook if you get caught up in semantics for what may be essentially a semantic-free usage.

I started adding some foreward-looking discussion here but decided to put it in a separate note to keep this thread uncluttered. Look for "OPML" in an upcoming note to the list.

--
Don

On 4/15/2016 10:03 AM, Robert D Anderson wrote:

Quick comments on a couple of the facilities in your list:

> We have at least the following facilities in DITA 1.3:
> topicref-to-topicref links with format="ditamap"
> Navref (deprecated but still present)

Navref is not actually deprecated.

> Topicsetref, which seems to address the same requirements that
> motivated navref but slightly less underspecified

I agree that there is a related motivation, but still think that we should not consider this a special facility or a special kind of DITA reference. It's a specialized topicref -- just like topichead, just like topicgroup, just like keydef -- that you can do something special with if you want, but where default fallback behavior is still appropriate for many or most situations.

Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA