Subject: Re: [dita] Key scopes and topicsetref

You're right, navref is not deprecated, just the use of @keyref on navref is deprecated.

I think I was projecting my very strong opinion that navref should be deprecated.

----
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC
http://contrext.com

From: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Robert Anderson <robander@us.ibm.com>
Date: Friday, April 15, 2016 at 10:03 AM
To: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@contrext.com>
Cc: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Quick comments on a couple of the facilities in your list:

> We have at least the following facilities in DITA 1.3:
> topicref-to-topicref links with format="ditamap"
> Navref (deprecated but still present)

Navref is not actually deprecated.

> Topicsetref, which seems to address the same requirements that
> motivated navref but slightly less underspecified

I agree that there is a related motivation, but still think that we should not consider this a special facility or a special kind of DITA reference. It's a specialized topicref -- just like topichead, just like topicgroup, just like keydef -- that you can do something special with if you want, but where default fallback behavior is still appropriate for many or most situations.

Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA