Subject: Re: Understanding DITA vs. DITA OT

For what it’s worth, when I try to explain the difference between DITA and the DITA OT, I say DITA is the paint and the OT is the brush. The paint’s color, consistency, finish, etc. are what they are. The brush is just one way to work with/apply the paint. There are other ways. You could use a roller or a sponge or you could just throw it at the wall Pollock-style and hope for the best…which seldom works out as well as it did for Pollock.

It’s an imperfect metaphor, but it seems to get the point across, especially if I extend it to stress how different the same paint can look when applied using different methods on different surfaces.

Leigh