Subject: Re: [dita] Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] Proactive planning for DITA intersection with HTML6

I regret now having posted to two lists. Let's keep this conversation in the DITA TC list to avoid triple replications.

Erik was a former member of the DITA TC under IBM's employ, and had spoken several times about the possibility of rebasing the topic instance on what was XHTML or HTML2 at the time. The content models were not a great match and involved use of classed divs for most of the structure. I should have included this background as it is probably an arcane reference, except that it does mark a historical precedent for the idea. It is pretty easy to imagine an HTML5 model that asserts much of current topic structure, although there are some gaps that could be proposed for HTML6 to make the mapping more complete.

At any event, HTML lacks a rigorous schema mechanism that can represent repeatable structure. Templates offer an option, but they fail the rigor test because users can overtype the structure and thereby create content that evades the intended business rule. Templates-as-structure-by-proxy are one way to fill that void because these now become an interchangeable artifact with other teams who can use the same tools to get the same effect. I see Lightweight DITA as a possible design for this outcome, but our current approach is at best just one that fits the DITA design pattern; there could be others, once the idea catches on (as I can see it being an even better match for a restricted use of DocBook's article structure). W3C is never likely to advise on use of schemas for HTML, but templates fit this space nicely, as long as there are tools that can make interchange of designs among sites more of a possibility.

Jan has mentioned the age of the list, so if anyone is aware of a more recent collection or discussion for HTML6, I welcome knowing where we need to look.
--

Don