Subject: Re: [dita] My increasing concerns about LwDITA and template-based specialization

I think we need to clearly separate utilities that make *defining* new specializations (and, more generally, configuring document types) easier from what needs to be standardized.

For LWDita, what needs to be standardized are the specializations and configurations themselves. That is, the definition of what, from the existing DITA 1.3 vocabulary, is and isn’t included in LWDita.

Utilities that it easier to *define* new specializations are just that, utilities and are no more appropriate for standardization than the RNG-to-DTD transform are. Some kind of template-based specialization facility would definitely be useful but it doesn’t need to be standardized and it definitely shouldn’t be standardized as part of the LWDIta work.

There’s no barrier to anyone today defining any kind of template-based approach to specialization they want as long as the result is working grammars that reflect the DITA rules for @class and @domains attribute values.

The only thing that really matters for specialization in DITA is the *values* of the @class attributes as they occur in documents as parsed. We depend on grammar files to provide those values through attribute value defaulting but that is just a convenience. It’s a convenience that the DITA spec has standardized to help ensure interchange and interoperation of documents as a recognition of the practical value of attribute defaults, but even there, the coding patterns for grammars is itself mostly a convenience to make managing grammars and document type configuration easier and to facilitate interchange and interoperation of grammars.

Cheers,

Eliot

http://contrext.com