Subject: Fwd: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] LwDITA DTD/feature questions

For TC attention.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 12:18:56 -0500
From: Robert D Anderson <robander@us.ibm.com>
To: Michael Priestley <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com>
CC: arh@groupwellesley.com, Carlos Evia <cevia@vt.edu>, dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita-lightweight-dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Interesting ... I hadn't even noticed that we're including specialized <object> elements but not including <object> itself. The pains of joining the committee late, I suppose.

This all feels strange but I'm trying to think of it as "something new" rather than "something DITA that follows the existing definition of specialization". Regardless of how we handle it, I do think that this calls for much closer attention to how we describe specialization in LwDITA.

With DITA 1.3 today -- every specialization must refer back to something in the base. So any application that supports the base + supports specialization has at least *some* level of support for every specialization.

Today, LwDITA spec is declaring specializations of an element that is not part of LwDITA. Which got me tugging a lot of threads:
1. Can somebody else create new specializations of <object> in LwDITA, or must they be specializations of the existing multimedia elements?
2. If they can specialize base <object>: should applications be expected to support <object>, even if it's not part of LwDITA? I think the answer has to be "yes" or else those specializations would have no fallback support.
3. If yes - can a LwDITA user create their own doctype that actually includes <object> directly? I'd have said "no" when I started this email...

4. If a LwDITA user can use or specialize <object> (which isn't in LwDITA), can they do the same with other elements like <cite>?
5. In general: if the LwDITA spec can specialize by pulling full DITA features that are not in LwDITA (like object, like keydef/@processing-role) ... can LwDITA users do the same?

For #5 the answer must be no. Because if it's yes, then LwDITA applications must be prepared for specialized LwDITA to have any core DITA feature ... which means there is no such thing as a LwDITA application, only full DITA applications. But if the answer really is "no" -- that is, "The spec can pull core features into specializations but you cannot" -- then I'm very curious to see how we explain that.

For what it's worth - tugging at all of these threads got me in a bit of a panic, so I sent some messages to Michael, who clarified some things:
- <object> is not part of LwDITA, so if you specialize from <object>, you should not expect LwDITA apps to work.
- Same for other elements and attributes of full DITA not in LwDITA
- Meaning <keydef> can use @processing-role but if you specialize your own topicref and use it, you should not expect it to work.
- But LwDITA apps should support it on <keydef> because that's the spec, and it's still a nice tidy subset of full DITA.
- And you could specialize <keydef>, or <video>, or any LwDITA "core" element, and use what's there, but as usual you can't add your own new stuff

All of which sounds reasonable / justifiable, just calls for us to write up a really nice explanation to make sure this is clear for both LwDITA architects and for LwDITA implementers.

Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA

Inactive hide details for Michael Priestley---06/05/2017
          10:17:43 AM---Hi Robert, For processing-role on topicrefs vs
          keydef -Michael Priestley---06/05/2017 10:17:43 AM---Hi Robert, For processing-role on topicrefs vs keydef -